Thread: burrum heads camping

Cool burrum heads camping

im looking at going to burrum heads in 2 months can anyone tell me about camping there! boat ramps facilities where to fish etc thanks

fishplukka

Re: burrum heads camping

There are two caravan parks there , one council one private , you can camp at either. Two ramps as well , one has 2 lanes and is opposite the Council Caravan park , the other is more towards the mouth of the river, only one lane and fairly narrow. Both need to be longer because they are a bit dodgey at low tide.
    Plenty of places to fish depending on your boat.
    This local web site might be of some help. http://www.fishntales.com/

Re: burrum heads camping

As Seahunt's said, you have a choice of two parks and two ramps. I've stayed at the Council one and the facilities are fine, and it's a terrific spot.

I only had an 11 foot tinnie at the time, and could only use the ramp near the park as the other one was being repaired. I wouldn't fancy launching a big boat in a bit of wind and the current can be quite powerful there too - you'll be fine though if you've got a couple of pairs of hands. From memory, there are "stoppers" at the end of the ramp to stop you dropping in - it's deeper than it looks and ends suddenly.

Give the park a call before you go and explain that you're taking a boat - not all the sites are the same size and they might be able to find you one of the bigger ones - 07 4129 5138

There's an artificial reef right out the front of the rivermouth, but it's classed as partially smooth waters so don't forget the flares. I got checked both times I went out. If you get the weather, you'll get there in any boat, no matter how small - it's only about 2-3km from the ramp.

Can't help with any other spots as I didn't get out much - it was only me and a very demanding 6yo for a deckie :-( There'll be a heap of gray nomads looking for a yarn and they might give you a few pointers...

Good luck,
    Mike