Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: diesel engine ' issues'.

diesel engine ' issues'.

Anyone here know a good deal about diesel engines. A Nissan mechanic would be ideal.

Here's the issue :-

I have a surge/ miss in the engine.

It appears to come in above 2000rpm and 3000rpm. Usually it happens under load. If this was a petrol engine, I'd say it had dodgey plugs or points.

I have replaced the fuel primer head and filter. There was a small amount of krap in the old filter.

The miss is not always there and I cannot tell if it is one cylinder or a complete revolution ?? Sort of feels like the diesel didn't ignite.

I am about to undo the drain plug on the fuel tank and see if there is water in there.

I have also just today put a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank. The bottle says 100ml for 100ltrs, so I have 135ltrs and put the lot in.

There is NO miss at acceleration to 2000rpm and when highway driving, no miss either. Just every now and again when I hit the 2000rpm to 3000pm and only under load or acceleration.

I want to knock this on the head asap, as it may lead to bigger problems.

I am also hoping it is an injector issue and that the Injector Cleaner will help or cure the prob.

Any suggestions or theories ?

Best would be for someone who had this exact problem to pass on their experience.

Cheers phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: diesel engine ' issues'.

Hi LP

What motor are we talking about?

I have a 4.2 D that I turboed and found that injector cleaners can certainly help. I think I had the same sort of thing, it sort of feels like someone turned off the fire once you get to the higher revs?

My mobile mechanic, who also does our petrol engines, has advised me that some of the trade only cleaners are much more effective and he gets these for me. The over the shelf types do not seem to be as good.

I actually rang him today to get a few tins of the ULP cleaner for our Ford which leads to the next point. Although I'm on the sth Gold Coast if you want me to ask him to get some for your diesel let me know.

Cheers

Chimo

What could go wrong.......................

My motor is the 3ltr T/D.

I will take the advice Chimo, but at the same time wait for more replies. I just like to get a ' consenis ".

I will let you know about getting the cleaner.

Phill

Phil,

Don't know much about diesels and with my Navara from new i've had an injector clean (from Nissan) every 20,000ks after the initial 10,000k service and always runs a lot better.

Not sure when the turbo kicks in with the Navara ? maybe something ?

After 59,578 klms I don't recall the glow plugs being replaced ? Doubt this would be the issue ?

My only guess is a fuel/turbo issue at a stab but I do know boats !

PS: Dropping the Navara off for her 60k service tommorow. Don't know why I should she is running sweeeeeet

The injectors are sounding like the problem. I have had only 2 cleans through it in 150,000k. The one I did today is the 3rd.

AND, considering the krappey fuels we are sold these days, a cleaner with every tank full would seem acceptable. ??

Phill

Over Xmas the clutch went on my Navara. It had only done 44k so was a little disappointed. It went over a period of a couple of months but there was a definate surge as the clutch would seem to engage and disengage. I thought it was more likely turbo issues in the beginning as it would seemingly do it while i was accelerating even if i didn't have a foot on the clutch. On the other hand I did notice having to excessively rev to get speed, this was more noticable as time went on. I have done some sand driving but the previous owner (I bought it at 32k) obviously towed a bit as it had a brake controller and a large 7pin connector when purchased.

I'm an accountant not a mechanic though and didn't get much of a mechanical education growing up so my advice on mechanical issues should be taken with a bag of salt.

Cheers

G'day
    Phil, to me it does sound like fuel.

When you run this tank through, go and fill up with freedom elite diesel. It's a 20% biodiesel 80% pertoleum diesel mix. Only a few of the freedoms have it at the moment, but it will clean your whole system out.

Dave

What happened then?? I was almost finished my post, hit backspace on the keyboard and was sent back 2 pages!!

I gave you some stick about not having a hilux (I have 3 as work utes).

Then told you to check the fuel pump. Have seen similar problems in things from my subaru brumby through to the inlaws riviera, and in some diesel cars too.

Get a fuel pressure gauge plumbed in and look at it next time it occurs.

Brett

PS, the 'lux gag was pretty funny.

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

150000 you should get the injectors reco'd Phil.
    The surge you describe sounds like you may have an issue with the EGR system.
    Go to Highway Diesel at coopers plains.

Phil I can tell you exactly what it is if you had a TD4.2 patrol as mine does exactly the same thing.
    What is going on with mine and it is very common is the inj pump also has a lift pump incorporated, this pump pulls all of the fuel around the system and also supplys the high pressure inj pump side. Sometimes on demand the lift pump cannot fully supply the inj pump with enough fuel for a very short period, a fuel supply problem.

The round about fix on mine is to fit an electric low pressure pump inline and/or a surge tank.
    The engine is still getting fuel when this happens although just not enough to crack the injectors for long enough and it feel like someone turned the spark off on a petrol car, only under load and only after cruising then stabing the accelerator.

I know nothing of your engine so if they are more complex it may also be complicated elsewhere.

cheers fnq

PS Oh yeah or it is just a bit of trapped/leak air in the system, air causes all sorts of minor headaches.
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 15-02-2007 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    Phil I can tell you exactly what it is if you had a TD4.2 patrol as mine does exactly the same thing.
    What is going on with mine and it is very common is the inj pump also has a lift pump incorporated, this pump pulls all of the fuel around the system and also supplys the high pressure inj pump side. Sometimes on demand the lift pump cannot fully supply the inj pump with enough fuel for a very short period, a fuel supply problem.

The round about fix on mine is to fit an electric low pressure pump inline and/or a surge tank.
    The engine is still getting fuel when this happens although just not enough to crack the injectors for long enough and it feel like someone turned the spark off on a petrol car, only under load and only after cruising then stabing the accelerator.

I know nothing of your engine so if they are more complex it may also be complicated elsewhere.

cheers fnq

PS Oh yeah or it is just a bit of trapped/leak air in the system, air causes all sorts of minor headaches.
    The genuine Nissan fuel filter can cause this restriction. Fleetguard make a filter that will flow better rectifying the problem, if it is the filter causing the drama.
    There is a fine strainer under the banjo where the fuel enters the pump and may need a clean.
    Last edited by Reel Hard; 15-02-2007 at 11:56 AM.

OK, Kev. what is a EGR system ? What is a banjo ?

I have replaced the fuel filter and now run a Ryco. No difference. I have drained the fuel tank and NO water.

FNQ:-

"enough and it feel like someone turned the spark off on a petrol car, only under load and only after cruising then stabing the accelerator. "

YEP, you're on the money there. exactly what mine is doing. And to be more precise, this happens when I am in third gear at 2000rpm, push the accelerator and it will surge all the way to 2750rpm. BUT, if I give the pedal some, changing through ALL gears, the surge does not happen. I will say that 3rd gear is most prevelant, and it is not noticeable in 1st, rarely in second, 3rd is an issue, and happens in 4th, sometimes. 5th, well , Never while cruising or going hard.

Back to Kev, I will undo the brass ? fuel line that enters the fuel pump / injector pump on the side of the motor. I will take a squizz and see if the banjo ? needs a clean or has krappe on/ in it.

Thanks for all the help so far people, I will keep you all informed, and please keep the ideas coming.

Yes, Kev, failing all our trials, I will take the Nissan to Highway Diesel, I have heard good reports about them.

Cheers phill

phil at the moment my cruiser is doing a simalar thing in 3 rd gear has a misfire and a flat spot and at a 100klm it has a misfire i put a bottle of injector cleaner in it it made a big difference but still not 100% also noticed a bit jerky when at low speed in 3 rd gear did a search RA_Q web page and it looks like a injector problem they say injectors should be removed and tested also nozzels wear so at this stage iam going to get it serviced check the whole injectors,injector pump ,injector pump timing ,at 180 000 i think its time have a look at this page diesel australia this may also answer your problems

[quote=Lucky_Phill;577375]OK, Kev. what is a EGR system ? What is a banjo ?

I have replaced the fuel filter and now run a Ryco. No difference. I have drained the fuel tank and NO water.

The banjo is a bolt that allows the fuel to pass through it, I had the same problem with my 4.2 td and under the banjo bolt there is a small ss mesh filter, cleaned that and the problem was gone, now I do it every time I change the filter, and it has not re-occured, but I don't know if the 3ltr td is the same, as the injection system is totally different.

hey mate am a desil fitter and the problem defintly sounds like an injector maybe sticking or the tip is damaged lets us no how you go
    live on the gt-ho falcon