Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: diesel engine ' issues'.

Re: diesel engine ' issues'.

Thanks Realhard, sounds like we have trod the same trails, I have the fleetguard fitted and the gause filter is near new and clean, I subsituted a 20micron high flow filter for the in house one for a test drive and the problem disapeared, I still cannot fully disscount air intrusion though.

The mechanics want up to $1500 to fix the problem but before then I will spend $100 in a few months on a low pressure pump and drive it for the next 5-8 years until the entire pump truly does need real work.

If I drive it like the old tech diesel it is, the problem doesn't show, sometimes I forget and think it's a petrol.

Phil ours do sound a bit different, I get no surgeing throughout extra RPM just a 1/4 second dead spot 1/2 second (or a bit less) after stabing the pedal but still as you say "never when going hard" it will do that all day, interested in hearing what your fix is, as long as it's not a total all encompasing highly expensive fix like the mechanics advise me with mine and for your sake also!

Best of luck with it.

cheers fnq

If it is getting air in the system FNQ it will be hard if not near impossible to start.

Phil is it blowing smoke?

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Modern diesels use this as a method to meet emision standards.
    I am thinking the system is not functioning correctly causing power loss. As the problem is not always there and not present under hard acceleration, a sick injector would be there all the time.
    Some professional help may be needed on this one Phil.

I tend to agree with you Kev. I am no mechanic, but the " injector ' theory would lead me to believe a problem exists all the time. She idles beautifully and runs 99% like a dream. I did notice the other day, when I started it, a small puff of smoke. Don't ask what colour, I couldn't be 100%

I have had people follow me, and no smoke while driving.

I will run this tank of fuel and injector cleaner through and then take further action. I will also remove the ' banjo and guitar !! " and look at it, tomorrow.

It is #@#$%y annoying more than anything.

Should I mention the EGR to a mechanic ( Highway Diesel ) or is it best to just let them deliver their own prognosis ?

Cheers phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_S View Post
    phil at the moment my cruiser is doing a simalar thing in 3 rd gear has a misfire and a flat spot and at a 100klm it has a misfire i put a bottle of injector cleaner in it it made a big difference but still not 100% also noticed a bit jerky when at low speed in 3 rd gear did a search RA_Q web page and it looks like a injector problem they say injectors should be removed and tested also nozzels wear so at this stage iam going to get it serviced check the whole injectors,injector pump ,injector pump timing ,at 180 000 i think its time have a look at this page diesel australia this may also answer your problems

Dave,
    I had the EXACT same problem with a Cruiser ute I used to have. I ran some injector cleaner through it, and it took a few tanks for it to be running right again. It was at about the same mileage as yours, and I got the tanks through it pretty quickly as the problem started in Sydney when driving to Brisbane. It had been sitting for a bit before the trip which probably didn't help. I saw a guy in Newcastle (where I put the injector cleaner in) and he was quick to say the injectors were buggered but being on a schedule I just put the cleaner in and kept going. It ran perfectly until I sold it some time later, with the odd bottle of injector cleaner chucked in. I am no mechanic so couldn't do the repairs myself so it would have been costly I would think. Mine had 200k on the clock without any work on the injectors, dunno if I was lucky (which would be a first), or she was just a special truck (ah the memories..)

Mine came good, hopefully so does yours without too much hassle mate.

Shane.

PS Dave, nice dog mate, I have one looks just like yours.

thanks for that shane my problem is slowly going away iam only on my first tank so i will see how things go

ps sheeba said thank you

phil you could try qld diesel spares for a after market snorkel intake

I have just returned from Highway Diesel. They plugged the Nissan into their " computer " and NO error codes came up. bugga ! The mech suggested that it is an electronic issue and that they can remove pump, replace ECU unit, run pump on ' bench ' and things, re-map electronics and refit pump to vehicle. 2 days offroad and $3,000 later.

The ' banjo ' does not exist in my pump. They are in use in manual pumps. apparently.

I am deciding right now on course of action. I do have another option.

Phill

phill, dont throw good money after bad, sell ya truck and get one of these nissans!!! Go to youtube and type in Nissan VFC Vs Lambourgini.

Decision was made to run with Highway Diesel. They called in the mech to start straight away and promised to have the Nissan back to me late Tuesday.

I'll keep you informed.

Cheers phill

I picked up the Nissan at about 2pm. All fixed. But, the cost blew out to $3948.57. Apparently I needed a new housing. Anyway, I drive home and bugga me, the car flatspots again. Twice. mmmmm

I then drive to work ( from Sherwood to Springwood ) and it does it again and again and particulary in 3rd gear. I call Highway Diesel and tell them the problem is still there. They said to bring it back tomorrow.

In the morning I visit a mate ( fellow Ausfisher ) and he phones his mate at Diesel Australia, Slacks Creek. I take the car around there and 1st person comes for a drive with me. Car doesn't miss a beat 2nd person jumps and drives it up the street. returns and states the problem. I drive it up the street and do what he says. YEP.... that's the problem.

I won't go into it just yet as he has just called to say he has the part and can install it tomorrow ( thursday am ). I will wait to see if this fixes the problem.

I have also returned to highway Diesel to claim my old parts. can't pick them up until this arvo. ( Wednesday ).

Now what do I do. if the H/D ( Highway Diesel ) people didn't fix my problem and they charged me nearly 4 grand and the mob at D/A ( Diesel Australia ) fix my problem for about ( $220 ), where do I stand ? I know the injector pump would to have eventually be serviced / over hauled, but did it really need doing. Time will tell.

An update tomorrow to see if the Nissan is back on track.

Phill

Gday LP
    once had similar problem with petrol range rover missing usually only under load or accellerating turned out to be a small piece of rubbre floating in the tank under high fuel flows it would find its way to the outlet and block the flow. might be worth a look

regards Bm

I think you would stand as a newly loyal customer to Diesel Australia. 4K, ouch!

I would be taking the bill back to Highway diesel and suggesting they come to an arrangement that sees you reimbursed for work that was a) not needed and b) did not fix the problem. I fail to see how they can expect you to pay $4000 for a repair that did not fix the problem.

Good luck and keep us informed

Cheers and Beers
    Scott
    "Mystique" Haines Signature 580BR with 175 of Mr Suzuki's finest ponies

Do what Scott said. Then if they don't want to come to the party, go straight to consumer affairs and lodge a formal complaint. They will give you a complaint number.

You then go back to Highway Diesel with the proof of the complaint and give them the chance to sort it out before they are investigated. Have had to do this a couple of times with my mobile phone carrier. Once they see you are serious about persuing your greivance they are much more likely to sort out the issue.

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

Hi Phil,
    I'M also in the trade....all the advice on this thread is correct.
    It is hard to pin point the problem..it could be any one of the advise you have heard.
    Start at the fuel tank & work forward to the engine..it's process of elimination.
    Then the fuel filter,then the lift pump (sucking in air...diaphragm ).
    150,000 on the clock more than likely carbon build up on injectors.
    or lazy fuel pump.(seals )
    If you are getting flat spots,when your foot goes down,could be air in the system.
    Maybe they havent bleed it properly or havent tightened a fuel pipe.
    As everyone says....Take it back to the repairer...it should be still under wnty...
    Hope you find the prob...all the best

Cheers
    Scottb
    Last edited by AutoPilot; 28-02-2007 at 01:37 PM.

OK, I picked up the parts from H/D today. They showed me around the workshop and were being very nice, they even gave me 2 stubbie coolers….. ! The Tech told me he never put the pump on the ‘ bench “ as the OHM level was too low when he tested it off the vehicle, but when he tested it in front of me it read within specs. ?? I have taken my old parts ( hope they are mine ), to another tech for an appraisal.

I can make the Nissan flatspot at will now. Now that I know what the problem is.

As stated before, I will not reveal this until that part has been replaced and the vehicle is working like normal.

On a side note I had the gearbox, transfer case, and both diff oils changed today. While I was under there I noticed something not quite right. The shockies ( rear ) are leaking and the front ones are spongie. The fronts are 10 months old and the rears a little younger. Phoned the supplier and they said there was a lifetime warranty on the fronts. This is going to be interesting.

Up dates as they come to hand, stay tuned to “ Days of our Nissan “.

Phill