Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Legal 4WD Modifications - QLD & NSW

Re: Legal 4WD Modifications - QLD & NSW

LOL...suprised this thread has made a re-appearance.

Spot on Seadog, everyones a winner in my books....literally!!

Old threads get to make an occasional reappearance courtesy of the "Search" function.

Here's hoping we never meet in a "professional" capacity.

Not much chance though, I have around 1M k's under my belt with only 2 moving traffic violations.

1./ Not displaying "P" plates (very early in my driving history)

2./ Failure to adequately display vehicle Tare and Gross limits (Printed in large lettering in cab window, rather than on outside of door.)

Passed "attitude" test both times.

Sensational to hear..... and people with decent driving records, seats in the upright position, stereos on low level and without a car load of mates get a fair bit of leeway.

Were you looking for some specific info about 4wd mods or just cruising?

Thanks Booty,

Just started a thread with my Q's

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...051#post612051

Cheers.

It is good to see these old threads pop their head up from time to time. I have definately decided to put off any modifications for the time being. My wife says she needs a new car first, and a diamond ring (which I did promise her), and under the house built in...

Good thing I can pass the attitude test. It was the fact that I used to be silly behind the wheel when I was younger. Hooning and all that stuff. There is something about a short wheel base FJ40 going sideways for 100m or so that the police don't like, and now that I'm older and wiser (at least older) I agree.

I must admit that having a friendly attitude towards traffic police in the past, even when I was not treated likewise (that is when I had done nothing wrong, the officers were quite friendly with the sideways incident) probably saved me a few dollars over the years. Good thing too, cause Donna has found the diamond she wants, and the car, and those expensive bathroom fittings, and the media room furniture, and...

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

Qld Transport website link for Light Vehicle Modifications.

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/reso...on_jan05v2.pdf

Lowering or raising of vehicles
    The road clearance of a fully laden vehicle must not be
    less than 100mm measured at any part of the vehicle
    other than the wheel rim or brake backing plates.
    (This does not apply where a lesser clearance has been
    specified by the manufacturer.)
    When lowering or raising a vehicle body (front or rear),
    the following additional restrictions are based on the
    manufacturer's dimensions for the standard unmodified
    vehicle while unladen:
    • The ride height measured between the rubber bump
    stop and the corresponding metal stop may be reduced
    by no more than one third
    • The rebound travel measured between the rubber
    rebound stop and the corresponding metal stop
    (or the extension of the shock absorber for vehicles
    without a rebound stop) may be reduced by no
    more than one third.

• Coil springs are to remain in locating seats on full
    suspension droop without forcibly being removed.
    In addition, the normal relationship between the front
    and rear suspension heights must not be unduly affected.
    Replacement springs (shorter or taller) must have the
    same or greater load capacity as the original springs.
    Suspension coil springs must not be shortened by cutting
    or heating. Leaf spring suspensions must not be raised
    by the use of extended shackles, adjustable metal plates
    or by placing the leaf springs to the opposite side of the
    axle. If lowering blocks are used, they must be either
    steel or aluminium.
    Airbag or air pressurised shock absorber helper springs
    may be fitted in addition to the original suspension.
    However, replacing some or all of the suspension system
    with an air or hydraulic suspension requires specific
    approval.

According to my interpretation of the highlighted info - suspension travel can be increased without any particular limits.

Or am I reading incorrectly?

Isn't it amazing how these old treads reappear every now and again.

Sea dog,
    what you have found there is a pamphlet from Queensland Transport this is a "Guide only" pamphlet as it has some errors in it. like the part were you have been mislead on they forgot to put in the word RAISE it should read suspension height lowered or RAISED one third of original ride height.

you can find the correct information in the Code Of Practice (which is what Transport Inspectors and Roadworthy guys use when inspecting vehicles)
    go to page 23 (items of rejection for suspension).

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/reso...n2_feb2004.pdf

hope this has cleared it up for you

neil

None of the following is intended as legal advice.

I have worked in insurance litigation for about 18 years. I have acted for and against insurers more times than I care to remember in that time. All policies are different, but at the end of the day the commonwealth Insurance Contracts Act requires that the insurer's liability be reduced by the extent of any breach of the policy has contributed to the loss - for example to use an example that ended up being a celebrated authority an insurer had to pay 100% of the damage for its insured vehicle that had bald tyres but was hit from behind at a red light - it had legally been stationary.

It can get a bit murky however where the oversize wheels and tyre combination reduce the braking ability (ie extra weight and momentum of the wheels), and braking was a part of the accident that might have been avoided with better braking...I simply wrote to my insurer and told them what tyres I had fitted including the size and asked them to note the policy as an improvement to my vehicle.

Its always a risk from an insurance point of view having slightly oversize tyres. Having said that 31s on Rover does not look big and given its towing capacity (which impacts braking ability etc) its absurd that they are technically half an inch to an inch too big. I dont have a lot of sympathy for blokes who stick 34-36 in tyres on and think that thats ok for the road.

The other thing to remember is that manufacturers have various actual diametres for their tyres. For example a 235/70/16 Michellin XPC might have a rolling diameter that is 7mm less than the equivalent in Pirelli. So if you take the lhighest actual diameter in 245/70/16 and compare it to the lowest actual diameter tyre in say 265/70/16 may will see that you are either legal (or getting close to it), which is why its very difficult to prosecute for a posted size difference when only going up 2 sizes like this because what is the base mark to measure from....the vehicle manufacturer will never supply that only the metric designation of 245/70/16 etc....

I dont advocate that people go out and go up more than the 15mm difference, but again small increments over this are going to be very hard to prove because of the above variances. The bottom line to me is that if it looks too big it will attract the Police, and could well reduce braking ability and heighten the gearing so that you have less pulling power with boats etc and for town runs in particular worse economy.

Cheers
    Last edited by ozscott; 17-11-2007 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dog View Post

According to my interpretation of the highlighted info - suspension travel can be increased without any particular limits.

Or am I reading incorrectly?
    Technically you are correct, there are no limitations placed directly on the amount of suspension travel increase...but to increase suspension travel, you have to do all the mods that are commonly done and this is where the limitations come into play...to keep it legal you have to stay within the guidlines.

So indirectly there are limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh77 View Post
    Technically you are correct, there are no limitations placed directly on the amount of suspension travel increase...but to increase suspension travel, you have to do all the mods that are commonly done and this is where the limitations come into play...to keep it legal you have to stay within the guidlines.

So indirectly there are limits.
    I hope you are in NSW.
    if you dont take my advice and you live in QLD if you get pulled over you may be open to get a fine.

why?? the law that you get fined under is vehicle safety standards and they directly talk about the code of practice. so if you are outside of whats in the code of pratice you are breaking the law.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by HONKY DORY View Post
    I hope you are in NSW.
    if you dont take my advice and you live in QLD if you get pulled over you may be open to get a fine.

why?? the law that you get fined under is vehicle safety standards and they directly talk about the code of practice. so if you are outside of whats in the code of pratice you are breaking the law.

neil
    What advice did you give?

There is nothing mentioned about "suspension travel"...its all about raising or lowering a vehicles suspension, and this measurement is taken when the vehicle is at rest on flat ground. You can have as much suspension travel as you like, as long as the vehicle fits in with the "one third" guideline, and other modifications are approved.

My vehicle has been inspected (twice actually) and nothing was mentioned about the amount of suspension travel I had. They just checked the bodylift was blue-plated, and measured the bumpstop clearance. To be honest, the didnt even check what height the suspension lift is (it is a 2" lift). Oh, I do live in QLD too