Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plastics offshore for the unconverted

plastics offshore for the unconverted

Hi,
    I am wanting to start using plastics offshore.Can anyone give me advise on types/brands/jigheads/colors etc how to rig them how to use them basically.I fish mainly out of the South passage 29s,35,s tempest etc.I do both bottom bashing and float lining.Any help would be apprerciated.
    Cheers
    Cougarman

Re: plastics offshore for the unconverted

I asked a similar question in the tackle section a while ago. The answers might be helpful

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=96793

cougarman,i have been using the 7 inch berkley gulps in the white and 7inch atomics in white out on the 80m line east of the barwon banks with good results on pearl perch and snapper to about the 6kg. the out fit i have been using is a 5-10kg t-curve,stradic 6000 with a jack erskine drag,30pnd bionic braid ,40-60pnd leader and 1 1/2 to 2 ounce jigheads .
    hope this may help you.

josh

There will be an interesting talk on this subject by someone who knows what they are doing at our next club meeting on the wed 21st Feb. Details will be in the next newsletter which should be out next week. Link to the newsletter on our website. Details on time and location in newsletter also.

Jeremy

Hey Peter,

I was out with outsiderskip - Pete on Tuesday - off deep tempest - 29s etc - tried some soft placcies but couldnt get anywhere near the bottom due to current... so if you crack it - let me know and I'll come n join you - I have confidence in shallow water but the deep stuff has me stuffed!!

Adam

Hi all
    Josh, in 80meters do you drift or anchor? Do you jig the plastic? Not a plastic convert yet, am willing to be converted though. Never realy tried it out in deep water.
    Wayne

wayne .we have fished both ways sucsesfully. drifting with a sea anchor and making casts in front of the boat. it takes a while to ge to the bottom . when anchored we have been jigging almost verticle with alot of hook ups coming while the plastics is on the drop. we have also found the snapper to be alot more agressive when the bait fishing goes a bit slow, thats when the placcies get a run with some good results

regards Josh

Thanks Josh for the tips i'll give it a go next time out wide.
    Wayne

Thanks for the tips so far guys and keep them coming every bit of info is invaluable.
    Cheers
    Cougarman

5cougarsthanx

Josh has exactly the right advise, the way he describes it shows he knows what he is doing I was deckie for the trip I put the link to below, and I can tell you some of the problems that I found, which resulted in being outfished while Frankoo pulled no less than 11 snapper all to himself, while I had to be content with a couple of average Pearl Perch which showed half way up on the sounder.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=104198

Where I went wrong.....

I was not using a big enough reel with enough line capacity. In 60 mtrs of water, while I had enough line on the spool, because I was down to the last 25% of line on the spool, stripping line off became difficult, in the same way that not having a full spool when casting will limit the distance you can cast. You really don't want any resistance on the line while it's supposed to be free spooling to the bottom. Even the slightest resistance while free spooling will affect your ability to get to the strike zone/ bottom. And when you think you are on the bottom, chances are that you are still not, so open the bail arm and LEAVE IT OPEN until you see line starting to come off the spool a lot faster = meaning there's a fish that's taken it. Strike hard, but don't be daft like me and get so excited you strike at the fish with your bail arm still open

2nd reason is that the 3 and 4" plastics that I had were a waste of time. You need up to 1 to 1.5 oz of jig head, even with a sea anchor to slow you down. A big jig head that size needs at least 5" plastic to appear natural to the fish.

Use white as Josh has said. Gulp Nuclear chicken in the minow works too. The bright colours seem best for offshore.

I'd love to hear you did OK on your next trip

Scalem

Is there any reason why you can't use SP's on a paternosca??
    That'll get 'em down.

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Is there any reason why you can't use SP's on a paternosca??
    That'll get 'em down.
    Some will say that works, but I have my doubts. I think when the fish are really on the chew, the schools can be half way to the bottom, so a properly presented plastic gets slammed on the way down. Just that whenever I get the chance to fish outside with Placcies, they seem to be closer to the bottom. Remembering that plastics are every bit a lure as they are a bait ( because they smell and the fish like the taste because of the chemicals in them) Just my humble opinion for what it's worth, I could start a controversy over whether a plastic is a lure or a bait, but let's not go there or I would be accused of hijacking this thread.

Scalem

have not yet tried plastics on a patenoser rig just yet , but ihave been tempted to tie a squidgy slick rig on and give that a go, havent really tried fishing plastics in the big currents that come through in the summuer months as we fish more shallower waters , we have done most of our plastic fishing out wide in may to october,wen the water has been a lot cooler and lesser currents, hopefully this snapper season produces the goods once again

josh

Interesting topic. I have often thought of using plastic on the reef but i'll be buggered if im gunna spend 10 bucks for 2 of those big suckers. Are you suggesting 5" jerk shads or similar? back.
    "We gave Howard the Arse now we have to fix Rudd"
    "Now we have to sort Gillard" F@?k me RUDD again
    Abbott and Newman what a great next few years "NOT"

How many plastics are you guys going through on an average trip compared to bait.Josh any particular jighead or brand
    Cheers
    Cougarman