Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: plastics offshore for the unconverted

Re: plastics offshore for the unconverted

Cougarman, i have been using the TT lures jig heads.The 2ounce and 1 1/2ounce heavey wire hook . i got them off sundown marine last year at the boatshow have only had one break out of about 20 jigheads (some big amber jacks found our plastic swimming to the bottom ) but thats fishing. i would probaly go threw 3pks in a days fishing .

Josh

Have you tried the larger Snapbacks? They will last a lot longer.

Scalem

Josh,
    What do you guys do if you cant get to the bottom with say a 2 ounce jig head do you add any extra weight any where in you rig or just keep floating more line out.?
    Cheers
    Peter

I agree Scalem, Snapbacks are damn near indestructable. Pearlies love 'em too.

Peter, havent had to much trouble getting to the bottom , a 2ounce jig head is pretty close to a 10ball sinker wich we use to floatline snapper. If we are not making a little bit of contact with the bottom i feel we are waistin our time . Have tried the 5inch snapback but not much luck .It seem the tail does not perform that well with a big jig head. have found the gulps and 7inch atomic paddle tail very deadly on snapper and the pearlies while they are on the drop. It is also very hard to tell if u are making contact in 80m of water . we also carry about 220m of braid on our reels .

Josh

Tied 5" white/red plastic shad to the swivel at the top of my paternoster rig a few times last winter as a experiment, found that the pearlies were taking it quicker that the bait, often resulted in double hook ups. The pastics probaly outfished the bait on reflection
    Macca

Quote Originally Posted by 5cougarsthanx View Post
    Josh,
    What do you guys do if you cant get to the bottom with say a 2 ounce jig head do you add any extra weight any where in you rig or just keep floating more line out.?
    Cheers
    Peter
    If you can't get to the bottom with that amount of Jighead weight, it's time to throw out the sea anchor. There are cheap versions available for about $35.00 or $40.00 ( something like that, I've already had mine for a while - can't remember exactly) which will help slow your drift, especially if there is a breeze blowing against the tide. They defineitely work under those circumstances. Attach the main line of the anchor to the front of the boat, then attach a second line to the front ( apex) of the sea anchor, which you can tie off within easy reach of where you are fishing. This way, your sea anchor is not interfering with your lines, and when you want to move, pull on the 2nd line to pull the anchor in.

Scalem

PS. The style of anchor I have is rated to about 6 mtres sized boat, if yours is bigger, you might have to buy the next biggest size anchor
    Last edited by Scalem; 14-02-2007 at 06:34 PM.