Thread: 3-6kg Spin rod.. Which one?

3-6kg Spin rod.. Which one?

Well, I'll be in the hunt for a new 3-6kg spin rod in the near future but I am struggling to decide what rod to get.

Preferably I would like it to be capable of casting upto 20g for casting slugs on occasions but will mainly be using casting 3-15g plastics/HB/Spinnerbaits. Looking at anything in the 6foot to 7foot range. looking in the 100-150range and must be 2pc for transport.

Rack Raider looks good but looks to soft int he tip for 20g
    Anyone tried 3-6kg livefibre sovreigns?
    ANyone else with a suggestion?

Cheers

Turley
    Last edited by turley; 06-02-2007 at 08:38 PM.

Re: 3-6kg Spin rod.. Which one?

Whats your preference here Graphite or fibreglass?
    If you want a grahite rod for light spin work have a look at the Daiwa Heartland range.They will fall into the price range as well....Great light rods ideal for soft plastics,spinnerbaits etc.....2 piece range as well.

Looking for graphite definately. Will have a look at the heartland series next time I am at my local shop for sure!

have a look at the relatively new Starlo Sticks................... very nice

Mike

Iam also looking for a rod with that rating and so far i've found the Pflueger Trion and Penn Pinpoint rods. They are both very nice, The Penn has a softer tip but the handle is a bit short. Im still undecided on which one i want, they both have pros and cons. Would be worth having a look at them, see what you think.

Cheers

I was going to mention the Pfleuger trions. I have a baitcaster that is 4-7kg yet the tip was quite light and could cast small weights as well as chuck barra lures @ around 25gms no probs. there are 2 suitable spin rods in the range, the 2 piece version (SP47702M 7' 3-6kg) has a medium(M) taper and would probably handle the metals better or the 1 peice version (SP47701MXFT 7' 3-6kg) is a extra fast tip so would be more inclined to chuck smaller weights about yet still have the same grunt in the butt section. these are good quality off the rack rods at a pretty good price. mo tackle has them for 99 or bc f has the range on sale for 79 this month.

I actually have another spin rod of this size and type that has done the job very well. Shakespeare Synergy 6-12lb 7' spin 2 pce. has dished it up to longtail tuna, squire, kingfish, flathead, bass, bream, whiting, and others up to about 4kg using a 2500 reel and 8lb braid. cheap too, got from "the mart" on special for 29 bucks and has only retired recently due to upgrade to a strudwick sic stik pro.

cheers, roo.

I use a Rack Raider 6'8" 2 piece (3-5kg, 3-15g) and I love it.

When casting with slugs, I use Bishop 15's rather than Knight 20's. They are the same length but a bit thinner. It seems to handle them fine.

Cheers, Brad.

I have a 2 piece Strudwick Sik Stik 7ft, I think its 3-6kg. I run an old Abu 1000F which has pulled in 2-3kg Tailor. LOVE the rod/reel. The rod costs about $100.

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

The penn pinpoints are definately worth a look, 7ft, 3-6kg and should set u back $99 or less, however the ones ive seen are 1pce. i definately rate these rods.