Thread: Fisherman's Island & Boat Passage

Fisherman's Island & Boat Passage

G'day,
    Planning on trying out the area on my kayak on Friday night using plastics. Be interested to hear from any-one who's fished the area , particularly the shallow reef area on the Bay side of the Island and the Boat Pasage itself. Not real experienced on the yak yet, so I'm not real sure about taking on the wash from bigger vessels moving at speed in the dark out on the river.

Any advice for a Newbie?

Thanks

Jeff

Re: Fisherman's Island & Boat Passage

Make sure you are at the required distance away from the docks and ships. I think it is about 30mtrs. If you get to close you will have Port Security on you like a flash.
    Try off from the grain terminal, you might just be supprised.
    I think in that area i would have a light going all the time for safety.
    Graeme

In a yak i would try the sunken wall at pinkenba abd the reclamation pond wall, not too far to paddle round to.

Mike

More game than me going out in one of those things..esp at nite
    ..Greg...."Termites pay the bills"..... Trailcraft 475...75 Hp E-Tec

Thumbs up Re: Fisherman's Island & Boat Passage

Go get em tiger.
    It's the brave that make paths for pussies like me. Like the guy who takes mackeral on a surf ski in Laguna Bay. Biig hairy cojones.
    Be aware the tide rips through the boat passage, so time your run to be coming back to the ramp on the slack.

I reckon the stealth mode Kayak would slip under the port security goons notice, esp after dark. The Jack & cod that would hide in there would be awsome.
    sugestions:
    You can buy battery strobes for lifejackets at ships chadleries.
    A road workers reflective vest might be a good option.
    A dirty big fat spotty bungied somewhere grabable.

The Kayak will handle all the wake in the world if taken bow on. (except maybe the Tangalooma flyer)(You could surf on that buggers wake.)
    Things I've found:
    Pretty busy handling rod, landing net & paddle, I found old surf board leg ropes good.
    I bungy strapped a bread crate to the front deck as a working surface - the wet & convex deck make it hard.

Again good hunting & tell us how you go.
    Last edited by Nowhere Bob; 24-05-2007 at 11:31 AM.

i have fished around the boats and jetties, tugs etc at night with plastics, i have caught bream, cod and squire. Make sure you keep away 50 metres at all times. As for the tug wash be very careful i get pushed around by it in my 4.2metre tinny, i reckon it would be shit scary in a yak.
    Marty.

Years ago before all this terrorism crap that changed the world i used to regularly fish underneath the fishermans island container terminal in my 4m tub.
    If you get underneath at night and fish back into any of the lit areas from above you can have a ball with big cruisers on light lines. Bream to a kilo are the norm with some well over 1.5kg.
    Sending down livies is always interesting if a tad hard to get them outa the pilons and cables and ropes and stuff.

There is quite a bit of crap on the bottom I presume is either from building the wharves or falloffs from ships or the docks and these areas are always terminal.

Night time is the only time to fish there daylight seems to be almost non productive.

The lighthouse near the sunken wall has got some decent structure and holes just to the east of it that used to be my bane of the river.......i never got a look at what used ot take the big livies there couldnt turn them on 15kg short stroker gear. Sending down a 300-400mm live pike would always get a result in short time but buggered if i know what lives there its strong

on the southern side of the southern pier of the gateway bridge is a mess of cables and crap that holds some good fish I scored a 15kg jewie there about 4 yrs ago on a livie.

I have heard of a eddy hole out from fishermans island that is some 4m deeper than surrounding areas that holds good jew too i havent found it myself yet tho 3 guys i know fish it a couple of times a yr and get good results.

Jack