Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best soft plastic for whiting

best soft plastic for whiting

hey guys,

im looking to do a bit of whiting fishing soon and wondered what soft plastics you have had success with and which methods work when fishing them.

any help is appreciated

cheers,

Ben

Re: best soft plastic for whiting

cmon guys,
    surely someone uses them for whiting

The berkley gulp sandworm in new penny has got me a few. I just let it sit there with a few small slow twitches.

whiting are normaly a by catch on the sp, get the odd one when chasing bream or flatties - the gulps seem to work well in anything resembeling a worm but i have seen a few elbow slappers caought using soldier and mud crabs so i suppose the sp versions would do the trick - its easier to pump a few yabbies have a quiet beer and let the why-ting hook themselves

Haven't tried them myself but the gulp worms are the go according to a couple of lads I know. Cut them in half and use a very light jighead, using a needle and very light(4 lb) leader material you can attach a stinger hook( no 6) short shank further down the worm. Use a twitch , twitch, pause, twitch, twitch retrieve.
    Good luck !!!

I would have to say that i've had most success with the 3" gulp minnow work in pumpkin seed. If specifically fishing for whiting or bream on flats i either sight cast or work edges of weed or yabbie beds, fishing with 1/28 hidden weights. Either use the slow roll technique or the smaller twitches that you would use targettting bream rather than the more aggressive flathead jerks. I've also done well on whiting using smaller lures such as 1.5" gene larew crappie spiders and atomic paddletails. I find that while u still will get some fish the larger lures such as the the 6inch worms result in numerous strikes but result in less hookups. Another option may be fishing a popper style rig with plastics using a worm hook. Good luck, fishing skinny water is heaps of fun.

hey ben,

i have had success with snapback grubs on light jigheads and light leaders, also as a few have mentioned gulp sandworms do well, but take patience to leave long enough to hook up and not strike straight away.

Mate of mines dad always fishing for whiting with Gulp sandworms in the natual looking colour. Cuts of about a 2inch piece and threads it on a standard whiting hook not a jig head, 60cm trace to swivel, small running sinker. Just sits there soaking them, seems to do very well out of it but there are a lot of whiting around where he is.

I am going to ask for further advice casting on the beach with placcies. Does anyone use Sp's for beach fishing for whiting? I am a lazy sod and don't have time to get fresh sand worms. I live 300m from a great beach and have plenty of SP's worms, gulps... you name it. Any suggestions for me is appreciated.

I like the idea of cutting pieces of gulp worm and going standard sinker rig.... might work casting it out.
    Not enough time in the day, to many spots to fish!

yeh sounds fine to me even tho i havent done it before but i spose if you had a fairly long trace you could whack a heavier sinker on it cast it into the surf and just let the waves wash it around, movement from the waves would make it seem very natural, sounds good on paper tho ill admit that

Well I will try it out this weekend and report back.

Casuarina Beach NSW always has plenty of beach worms.. so lets hope the whiting go for it as i am hungry for some.

Roydsy

A Gulp worm, put on a hook no jig....left to run free above a normal hook /worm setup...fish the bait as the nrom, when you hook up just use a slow retrive with winter whiting 8 out of 10 times you will bring in a double....

thanks juju sounds like a good rig..... do you guys bother with red beads/plastic as well?

Why waste your time with plastics just use the usual whiting rig with a bit of worm or squid infact why waste ur time on winter whiting any way ?
    With fish like 7kg snapper hanging arround reefs in the bay...

There are several reasons mate.

1. I have a beach full of whiting less than 300m from my doorstep
    2. Don't have much free time or money to spend on getting bait
    3. I have hundreds of placcies waiting to be used
    4. I love eating whiting.
    5. The boats in storage up at hervey Bay.
    6. all the above

cheers
    Roydsy