Thread: Camp Oven Mate Explained

Talking Camp Oven Mate Explained

Due to an ever increase in the requests to explain the Camp Oven Mate, I have updated my website page to show how to set one up and use it. Eight photos in total make for an easy read.

Check it out at http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/campovenswithgas.htm and let me know what you think.

Derek

Re: Camp Oven Mate Explained

Hi Derek,

Thought it might be a good time to mention my sooting up problem I had with my Camp Oven Mate. Finally tracked down the answer to the problem. I made the mistake of using a two ring gas burner instead of a single, when both rings were alight the inner ring starved of oxygen causing sooty smoke. My experience is that a single burner should work quite adequately as very little heat is required, certainly nothing wrong with the Camp Oven Mate.

Tony

Hi there,

I have already done that sort of thing with a large saucepan and lid I got from a flea market. I cut the bottom out of the saucepan and place either the gas under it or I use the saucepan to protect the oven from the elements when cooking with hot coals, especially when digging a hole is not appropriate and the weather is cold or wet.

cheers bob

Just fpr your information, I am in discussion with Bill from Southern Metal Spinners regarding making a basket to sit under the Camp Oven Mate to hold Heat Beads.

Will keep everyone up to speed if it develops.

Derek