Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who tought you to fly cast?

Smile Who tought you to fly cast?

Hi all

Was wondering who tought you the art of casting a fly. The lucky one's that can put a fly out learned the art from all different places from going on guided tours to dads to casting demos at boat show's etc.

I grew up in Tassie and learned to cast from dad. I also picked up a few tips from my uncle at Borumba John Rowe.

So how about you guys where or who gave you the best form of fishing?
    Last edited by Tropicaltrout; 03-02-2007 at 09:13 PM.

Re: Who tought you to fly cast?

Leanne Payne at a sports tuition father/son weekend. I was amazed how simple it was.

Didn't know anyone else who waved the wand when I started out so had to teach myself through watching people on television and trial and error. My technique is probably not perfect but I'm happy with it.

Cheers Dave.

I'll have to blame my dad for that.
    So you're John Rowe's nephew huh?
    How is he these days? Is he still living up at the dam?

cheers
    rob

Harro.

He makes it look easy and after some help it is easy.

It's all about technique and timing. If you're working hard, you're not doing it right.

Luc

A good bloke by the name of Brendon Rolt taught me to fly-cast in Cairns about 10-11 years ago, catching tarpon in a tidal lake there on poppers.

I'll never forgive him...

Hi Rob Johns good, him and shirl are closer to town, He still gets up to the dam but he's not guiding it anymore.

A question that I have been asked often when sharing a boat!
    Who taught you to fly cast!!!!
    Seriously, I like to fly fish but as someone else said, I like to take it easy. I dont beat myself up about my ability and try to use a easy relaxed style.The best advice I have heard is if you can't cast that far, move the boat closer!
    Rob

self taught but a few videos helped, have caught a few species such as barra , silvers ,barcoo grunter, yellas, eel tailed cattys, sooty grunter,its all good fun and i hope to catch more species .its amazing how many people think its too hard , when its not that hard at all.cheers bdowdy...brett

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    Hi all

Was wondering who tought you the art of casting a fly. The lucky one's that can put a fly out learned the art from all different places from going on guided tours to dads to casting demos at boat show's etc.

I grew up in Tassie and learned to cast from dad. I also picked up a few tips from my uncle at Borumba John Rowe.

So how about you guys where or who gave you the best form of fishing?
    Self taught ...... not too bad but lots to learn (river craft) .... & that is the real art (Trout) ..... NAGG

Rivermanau, my old man taught me on very small creeks fishing for trout with dry flies. His theory for casting is just as you said, and I can testify you don't have to be a poster boy to succeed. dad never said "move the boat closer" of course, but his concept of why cast further than you can see your fly is just the same. Or he'd encourage me with comments like "surely you can't see a trout that far away" when I'd whine about not getting much distance.

Of course it does all get a bit different walking the lakes with wet flies, or understanding how to balloon the line out to catch the run of the water in fast creeks so the fly will appear propperly to the fish, etc.. tight casting on bushy creek banks, and a thousand other neat tricks a good fly fisherman (which as said, I am not) picks up over the years. But still, it does all come with a whole lot less drama than many think I reckon.

Good to hear Mr. Rowe's well. Not that I'm a close freind or anything. I used to just drop in and see him when I visited the dam, and always found him a great bloke. He did wonders for the dam, I wish his attempts to get back roads opened for walking based fishing had succeeded though.

cheers
    rob
    Last edited by robyoung2; 09-02-2007 at 08:02 PM.

Hi, I grew up in TASSIE as well . Mainly self taught but fished with some of tassie best, Bert Blackwell, This bloke would have to be the best stalker & hunter I have known both fishing and hunting deer. Barry Tattersall (dec) an Englishman, a trout perfectionist. I have FF for 30+ years
    ps; keep it simple an enjoy the sport.

Myself from watching other people now always ask questions of other people who have better techniques

yep the river stuff take a bit to get used too buy you will get Nagg its flicking the under loop or plenty of roll cast in the tighter streams, love that style of fishing it real stalking fishing use to fish the nive back in tas and the tyanna river that was great fun. anyhow its good to see how you fellas pick it up.

Thanks for all the replies, cheers TT

Ah, one discussion I can finally participate in I taught myself to fly cast after reading websites, watching fishing shows and watching people on the river. I'm not great at it...but I can get my flies out to fish and I've caught a few brown trout and brook torut so far.

Still trying to learn the haul and double haul