Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who tought you to fly cast?

Re: Who tought you to fly cast?

I,ve never tried fly fishing, and have no intentions of doing so. I have watched flyfisho doing it, and it seem like a lot of hard work.

I guess its horses for courses.

minno

Any one who fly fishes and wants to know more about the subject should get Mal Kriegars DVD. Basically because he covers ALL of the casting styles that are on offer to fly guys, with short or long rods.
    The first thing you need to realise is that a 9 foot rod is just another fly rod and the casting style used, like false casting, is very inneffecient, and is very limited in use. Mostly the rods are very ineffecient as well, because they are generally designed to cast fly lines and not catch fish.
    Which is why most fly fishing, one handed fly fishing revolves around low rod angles. If you try giving the rod a real bend it will most likely explode.
    On rocks and when casting to fast fish, you need a very fast presentation, and if you waste too much time the fish is gone. This applies to many boat situations, wading on flats and off structures like bridges, wharfs etc.
    This needs a one shot cast, like one backcast and a shot at the moving fish.
    There are limits to the use of one handed fly rods, basically because of the one handed technique, which puts limits on the ability of the anglers to cast the thing.
    And funnily enough that is also dependant on the users build. Godzilla casts further than Mickey Mouse, because the system, in heavy classes, or any class, is strength dependant.
    Not only is it strength dependant its "room" or space dependant. You need lots of room to cast a fly line with fase casts.
    If you fish rivers/creeks you need to learn the Spey casting style, because it allows you to fit your fishing into the terrain around you, and if you are into heavy class fishing you need to understand how two handed casts reduce the "Godzilla" syndrome by making it possible for you to cast 17# rods very easily.
    And using two handed long rods makes it easier to fish estuaries, because it gives longer casts and greater coverage of the available water.
    Generally speaking the casting distance for fly rods is detirmined by the length, like a 9 foot fly rod willl cast to a distance relating to 10 times the length. 0r about 90 feet.
    If you equate this to a 12' rod its overhead casting distasnce is 120' and for 15 feet its 150 feet.
    It requires a very good casting technique to put a practical fishing system to 100 feet on a regular basis, and if you don't believe this measure our the distance and have a few hucks at it.
    For the record this 17# Shimano Surf rod that I have modified into a DH 9 footer can be cast to 80 feet with big flies and a big sinking head, its designed for boat and rock fly fishing. Like "dredging" VBG.
    And lert me say that it does take a Godzillar to even get the fly 40 feet one handed. Its a fishing rod, not a noodle.
    I know I'm wasting my time but all I am trying to do is get anglers to understand that fly fishing is about fishing with one and two hands, wth rods between 6 and 15 feet in length and from 2# to 17# in all sorts of areas and with wide range of castingf styles, Spey as well as any other available to the angler.
    Two handed casting is there to make it easier for people with disabilities and for kids or even just fit and healthy guys.
    As an example I suggest borrowing a 12/14'DH rod and taking it to your local estuary or creek whatever and just roll cast it. You will find its easy to do, takes about a few seconds per cast, does not require a LMD, since you have no running line to mess around with and covers a very wide stretch of water if you just side step before each cast.
    Piece of cake stuff and covers the water almost to your feet, and the fly zips along because of the rod length, lift from the horizontal to the vertical on retrieve.
    Give it more than a passing thought. It might suit you down to the ground.
    MaxG.

Quote Originally Posted by minno View Post
    I,ve never tried fly fishing, and have no intentions of doing so. I have watched flyfisho doing it, and it seem like a lot of hard work.

I guess its horses for courses.

minno
    it is and you go without for a while while you are learning ,
    there is definatly a real feeling of accomplishment when you pin your first one on fly
    but we do have one advantage overe slugs Minno and thats when the Tuna are on Micro stuff , but a lot of boat work comes into it then for Tuna

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

Minno..... Yes and thats exactly my point. It becomes very hard work when you are operating the least efficient, shortest distance, size limited system invented for fly fishing.
    But whether you do it or not, thats your choice. I know a lot of very good anglers, a dam sight better at what they do, than most fly guys are at what they do, who simple say it isn't their thing.
    I suggest a good look at what fly fishing really is, not what you are watching because its not the true story, its just a sort of diversion from reality.
    Have a look at a few web sites, just Google "Spey Clave" "Sexyloops" "Dan Blanton" and "Bob Meiser".
    That should get you moving.
    MaxG.

Yes I hear you flyfisho and having to wait for the big one on fly, I don't think I have the patience. I,ll stick to the slugs! I beg the diffa on the micro stuff, The 27 I nailed when you were there, all the bait was micro. But theres are ways to tease them with 40gm,s in tow. When there in feed mode, they will attack anything within eating range and its takes less energy for the tuna to hunt a larger meal than the smaller stuff, and a bigger bait fills the belly.

minno

Maxg. Thank you for your insight and invitation, but no thanks mate. Maybe one day in my latter years. I guess Iam just lazy.

Minno

Your honest minno, It is a technical type of fishing and take time to pick it up but nailing a big dolphin fish or tuna, marlin, or a big Toga,Bass or Trout nothing comes close, NOTHING, Most of us guys are in it for the sheer beauty of it flicking a creation out into the water without causing a splash and watching that fish thats been working scoff it down, its a awsome feeling. We all got inspired from others and now we all do it and the only other thing we may get out of it is that we may inspire someone else!

Thanks Tropicaltrout. You wrote that so well, and not only was it inspiring, its also a fact. The skill needed for fly and the patience required, can only be respected at one of fishings highest levels. Old habits are hard to break and when it comes to trying something new, it can be a little daunting. Scary in fact! I will take a closer look.

minno

A gentleman named Ron MacKenzie taught me in the late '60's. He was involved in the Fresh Water Fly Assembly in Victoria then. Tweed Jacket, Deer Stalker and pipe. We learnt with split cane rods, then updated to solid fibreglass, now they were heavy. Tubular, hollow glass rods were then released, Jarvis Walker had a pretty good 7 weight however we upgraded when Abu brought out the Feralite series which had glass to glass ferrals instead of brass. Hardy then released a pretty neat 5 wt hollow glass blank that was a nice little trout. Now I use G Loomis IMX 4 and 5 weight for Bass, and I just got a nice 10wt Reddington for Barra.

Hello guys,

I was given a couple of early casts from an old bloke who lived across the roasd called Mr Eastly, when I was about 13.

Today I recieved a full day tuition from Tassie guide Mike Tenner.

The problem is - I LIKED IT

I've already ordered my first setup and waiting to hit the Highland Lakes as soon as the new boat arrives.

Just what I need another fishing bug

Brett