Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 07 Hilux Turbo Diesel ?

Re: 07 Hilux Turbo Diesel ?

Hilux's

I have grown to hate them (I don't mean to offend anyone but...) I work on a minesite and we have recently introduced a new rule on airbags, which cruiser utes don't have. So we hired Hilux's until our new Patrols were delivered. After only 20,000 to 40,000 k's they started falling apart. We had problems with airbags, driveshaft, gearbox and general trim just falling apart.

I realise the treatment the Hilux's got on our mine site is extreme, and you might not ever have the problems we have, but I have grown to hate them. I prefer the earlier Hilux over the new (I think Thai made) Hilux.

nothing stays together on mine sites...not even the staff...they are inhospitable areas that neither man nor machine was made for.

Yeah i know I guess I just got spoiled with Cruisers we get 100,000 k's out of them without to many problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Barraless View Post
    Hilux's

I have grown to hate them (I don't mean to offend anyone but...) I work on a minesite and we have recently introduced a new rule on airbags, which cruiser utes don't have. So we hired Hilux's until our new Patrols were delivered. After only 20,000 to 40,000 k's they started falling apart. We had problems with airbags, driveshaft, gearbox and general trim just falling apart.

I realise the treatment the Hilux's got on our mine site is extreme, and you might not ever have the problems we have, but I have grown to hate them. I prefer the earlier Hilux over the new (I think Thai made) Hilux.
    I am an X miner so I know what they are put through

I agree with your comments but what ute in the Hilux class would be any better?

Whats the probs on the driveshafts? so we can keep a check on them, first I have heard any probs on drivshafts but back to miners again

A bloke I know twisted 5th gear out of his new TD Hilux but he is a rat and is known to smoke up the tyres on a regular basis and was going flat bickies on the sand in low range 5th, Toyota came to the party though and replaced.

cheers Murf

Murf
    The CV joints break and the driveshaft becomes adrift at one end, you can imagine the damage a semi attached driveshaft can cause at speed. We have four survey utes and it happened to three of them. When we dropped one of the Hilux's off for repair, the mechanic had just ordered ten new driveshafts for other peoples Hilux's. As for other cars in the same class as the Hilux I can not comment on. The TD out of the Hilux goes dam hard, bit of turbo lag though.

Cheers Matt.B.

thanks Matt

the Turbo lag takes some getting used to but I heard the newer models have improved this??? Again I would get the auto as this gets rid of the problem for towing.

Mate, we used to have a hilux at the mine site and Friday nights was sports night to see who could drive between the two mines the quickest and boy it was criminal the punishment that was dished out. the old lux just kept taking it

Cheers Murf

Barraless, I agree, Hiluxs' are not cruisers.

I love my 'lux, it goes where I want happily. But they are not as strong as landcrusier utes. If toyota made a dual cab cruiser ute I would buy it!

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

Finally pulled the digit out of my rectum and ordered a Auto Turbo Diesel Lux. A couple of weeks away still, so enjoying the luxury of the cruiser while I still have her.

Thanks Shane C for letting me take yours for a spin.

Now I just got to hope the Lux pulls the boat OK, the other thing I heard was that Hilux's are putting in a disc brake rear end, should be a good thing. Thought quickly about the new Diesel V8 Cruiser ute, but needed to carry more people then a single cab can handle.

Meherio

Sounds good. The auto TD should tow without any dramas. If you need more power it is a ceap thing to boost them slightly anyway. One piece of advice though, Ployair air bags are brilliant!!

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

G'day Brett, How do the Polyair bags go unladden? Will the old girl hop all over the road?

They only hold a max of around 25 psi, and only have a low volume of air so are VERY easy to let down again. You pump them up before you load up the ute and let them back down again after it is unloaded. I tend to have a bit of weight in my ute now so I keep some air in them all the time. I should have got the heaviest springs they had but went for the medium duty.

Brett