Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 07 Hilux Turbo Diesel ?

07 Hilux Turbo Diesel ?

G'day Ausfishers,

In the market for an Auto Turbo Diesel Dual Cab, the only thing that takes my fancy is the Hilux, having owned four Hilux's over the years have got a soft spot for them.

I took a Auto Turbo Diesel for a test drive today and thought it was OK bar the road noise and the wind noise. Is this a common problem for this model or did I take a bent one for a spin?

Meherio

Re: 07 Hilux Turbo Diesel ?

I am in the same position, am looking at a dual cab turbo deisel. Looked at the hilux as well as all the other brands and the Rodeo came up trumps at least on paper. The main problem with the hilux was price. I can see no difference in comparison with Rodeo and the Rodeo is sooo much cheaper. I could fully fit out the Rodeo for the price of the base Hilux. My only problem is I want to test drive them all with the boat on before deciding. New dual cabs don't come standard with tow bars. May just have to take a leap of faith on that. As for wind and road noise, they all seem to have some of that.

i have an 05 td rodeo in auto and i cant fault it, dont do any towing..

any questions ? i can try to answer them

cheers

cameron

A few people have suggested the Holden, so I am taking one for a test drive on Monday. I believe Holden have made some changes to the 07 model, increasing towing capacity and made some changes to the engine.

Meherio

I have a Hi Lux TD...12 months old this month...almost 50000 on the clock...have towed dual axle box trailer with a load of materials in it to Rockhampton on several occassions..don't even know it is there. I cannot fault it...not one thing has played up on it. I would recommend them to anyone.

Mate,
    I have a 11/2006 Hilux TD SR5 Auto. The thing goes like a charm. Previously I had a 2003 TD manual and the two vehicles are like chalk and cheese. If you are after an 07 model you'll be sweet, but in October 06 they made changes to the emission control on the TD's giving them a bit more power, only about 6 kw, but with upgrades comes improvements. So be wary if they try to sell you one with a pre 10/06 compliance plate.

Whilst I only tow a 16 ft tinny these days, I get around 11-12 L/100kms on the highway at 110km/h and much better when not towing. Honestly, you wouldn't know the tinny was behind the car but it's only about 700 kg on the trailer. 9-10L/100km is the norm around town.

I am ecstatic with mine, love it!! Admittedly they are more $$'s than some others, I won't sit here and say it is necessarily better than the competition as I had no intention of buying anything other than the Toyota so didn't do a great deal of research regarding other brands.

There is road noise with all fouby's, I got the factory underspray noise dampening stuff put on it, mine is a lot quieter than a mates Hilux without it, but I tend to turn the sounds up pretty loud anyway. I can't fault mine, its only done 2000 kays, but my last one had three years of trouble free running, hence my return business.

If you are still interested in a Toyo after trying the Holden, send me a PM, I will point you in the direction of a guy who will give you a very competitive price, he beat everyone else by a mile when I bought mine.

If you go the Lux, you won't be disappointed bud.

Shane
    Last edited by ShaneC; 04-02-2007 at 06:04 AM.

Thanks for the replys boys.

ShaneC have sent you a PM

Meherio

Like Shane said, the hiluxs' are great rigs. I currently have 3, a 93 2.8D, an 03 V6 and my toy, an 06 V6 manual. Have had many over the years, but before buying the latest I checked out the competition. The other brand I considered (after checking them all out) was the Navara, it was the only one that came close IMO. The hilux still came out on top for me though.

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

test drive as many as you can drive a rodeo for work carrys about 2.7 ton total wieght turbo diesel goes pretty good does not stop!!! a commen prob with all our work rodeos when towing have one shot at brakes qiute scarry dealer has tested several time reckon there spot in wont pass a rego brake test
    has tool boxes on back i wear ear plugs if doing more than 100km wind noise is painful after about a hour have to turn the radio up 10 points to hear other guys in different branches have commplained about same probs

Always had Hiluxs since I was 17yo (1980 models) put a V8 in one done all the tricked up stuff on them. the last one being a 2.8D. The new TD DC is the quietest nicest driving rig on the road of any of the cars I have owned.

Ground clearence was my biggest worry but all the new makes are similar in the front end.

I am scared of breaking it so I won't follow Brett but I am not scared of using it for its intended purpose towing the boat and camper van out the beach and up the bush. Always beach launch boat

I find the front suspension is a bit light off road on severe corregations and have put a 40mm lift springs in the front. I would like to do what Brett has and get a full suspension but money is an issue for me.

On road performance for me is terific and I love it. Easy get 10lt/100km and no hills scare it like the old 2.8lt

The new lux is so much bigger than the old 97 2.8D I had to rearange the shed to fit.

I have a complaint about how long legged it is in first and reverse for towing but I have a manual and should have listened to the Boss lady and got the auto.

Cheers Murf

Took a couple more rigs for a spin today. Holden Rodeo and a Ford Ranger/Mazda BT 50. IMO both the trucks where streets ahead of the lux in the noise department (am going to take another Hilux for a run to confirm noise defferences), as I still am keen on the Hilux.

The Rodeo was nice to drive little slow in the take off and as gone_fishing said a little light on in the stopping department.

Ford Ranger/Mazda BT 50 nice to drive (test drive car was a manual as autos aren't available until March) but not convinced new model ,havn't iron out the creases yet, but trying to keep an open mind. Best interior by a country mile.

So at this stage the decision is still as hard as a cat's head.

Meherio

One of the major 4wd magazines compared all the 4x4 utes recently. I think the Rodeo was last and the Navara first. I don't think the new Ford/Mazda was included.
    Personally I'd go with the Hilux. There's a few too many nasty stories floating around about the new Navara. They may be better now (18mths on) but I'd still go the Toyo because it's a Toyo. (And I currently drive a Nissan which I'm happy with)

Murf is right about the 'lux being long in the leg in first and reverse. It's even worse with taller tyres, but it is manageable and have been told that the lux isn't the only one. I test drove the Navara and still chose the 'lux.

Murf, that pic is of me taking a sledge hammer to the front bar, the ute wasn't a week old yet!! POI for anyone buying a new 'lux and fitting ARB bullbar and taller tyres. You HAVE to modify the bar where it comes underneath towards the tyres. I went over a 12inch drop with full left lock and almost ripped the underside panel off. Had to beat it back into shape, when I got back to work both sides came off and were cut to improve the clearance.

I'm glad I listened to the Stuarts Tyres and didn't go the 33's!

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

I wanted to put on the Cooper LT265/75R16s at 808mm dia was just too big for the gearing and was an if they would fit. I ended up with Cooper ATR LT245/75R16 at 775mm dia and they sit quite nice on the Lux.

The other thing that got me was I always used low range 2WD in the 97 mod 2.8D Lux to reverse boat and van around but with auto hubs in the new one I can't always do it when on tar and concrete.

You learn to live with all the fours and against but it is best to be in the know before you spend $50,000 plus on a 4WD.

what compromise best suits your needs in all facets will determine what you get but I still like the Lux.

Cheers Murf

The extra you spend on a Hilux over a Rodeo you will get back when you sell it.
    Probably more, Rodeo's dont hold their value like the Toyota's.