Thread: Rod Backbones

Rod Backbones

Just out of interest sakes I have always wondered what technique rod builders use to find the backbone of a rod when lining up the runners. So many rods I have tested have not had the guides lined up on the backbone properly and the runners kick off to the side when under load.

Poodroo

Re: Rod Backbones

i put an answer in the binding on the spine thread..
    i am sure you will be given other ways & you will then sort out which works for you..

Thanks DR.

Poodroo

a back bone is just were the rod bends at is softest point , some can have up to three points that can be called the backbone . all you do is just place the rod butt on a hard surface (about 45 deg)and load the blank up as if to simulate a fish pulling on it, and you roll the blank across the surface until you find strongest or in this case weakest point and thats the back bone

You'll get to see how it's done at the RBW.

There are also contraptions you can buy that will do it for you.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Thanks heaps guys. I am so looking forward to the RBW. Come on May, get here quickly.

Poodroo

another way is to pick up the blank from the tip end, make sure you do not snap it off if it is a light weight blank, then hold the blank about 2 feet or so further down with the other hand, and let it sort of "hang" rotate the blank with the tip haned and you will feel a distinct "click" when it is on the backbone, remember to allow for overhead or threadline reels as the reel fitting will be 180 degrees out of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    another way is to pick up the blank from the tip end, make sure you do not snap it off if it is a light weight blank, then hold the blank about 2 feet or so further down with the other hand, and let it sort of "hang" rotate the blank with the tip haned and you will feel a distinct "click" when it is on the backbone, remember to allow for overhead or threadline reels as the reel fitting will be 180 degrees out of course.
    I like this method also, I usually mark the blank witha chinagraph pencil, then go back the other way to be sure.