Thread: Fishing and Camping Qld Coast

Fishing and Camping Qld Coast

Well, I tried a thread on fishing the Gulf (heading there for several weeks after the wet subsides this year). No responses, so I thought I'd try for some info that will help us on the way up.

Leaving the Gold Coast in late March or early April now. Plenty of time to get to the Gulf as many of the roads up there are likely to be still closed for a while after that.

Lets call the target area Maryborough to Cairns. A big area I know, but we have plenty of time and prefer fishing to driving.

We have no rush and are looking for some great places to camp for a few days at a time and fish on the way up (and possibly back). After mostly estuary and river fishing as our boat is a 3.5m Stacer with 15 HP and elec motor. We are fully self sufficient for camping, so prefer where we can, to avoid major caravan parks. We like bush camps, National Parks and smaller camp grounds. We don't mind people around us, just not on top of us.

Apart from the fishing gear for the boat, we will carry some crab pots, red claw traps and a couple of beach rods. Also a cast net in the hope of some prawns.

I'm aware of places like 1770 and Baffle Creek, but have never been there, so know nothing other than they are recommended places to visit.

Anyone able and prepared to share some info on some great places for us to visit and try our luck?

Oh and if you have some advice on the Gulf (Qld and NT sections) that would be very welcome also.

Thanks guys.

Norm C

Re: Fishing and Camping Qld Coast

Hi Norm,
    It's just a little south of your target area but have you tried Inskip Point. Bush camping run by National Parks with drop toilets but no showers. Bitumen road right to the point where the barges depart for Fraser Island. You can land your boat from the beach at the point or the duck pond if you have a 4W drive or it's only a couple of Kms to the old Bullock Point ramp. Sheltered fishing in Pelican Bay , run up to Tin Can bay or fish the straight between Fraser and the mainland.
    Usually good for whiting, bream and flathead, there should be a few schoolies around, and although I've never caught one there I believe you can pick up the odd Jack in Kaurie Creek.

I'm heading there the week after the Easter weekend.

Re: Fishing and Camping Qld Coast

Give Seaforth (45mins north of Mackay) a try - good camping ground next to beach which doesn't get very busy outside of major holidays. Fishing, crabbing and prawning are all good in the local creeks and the bowls club is a nice spot to have a cold one after being out fishing.