Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Rediculous it is there are no Bag limits on Jacks!

As for the research on breeding age that is not accuarte at all and should not be used as a guideline.

If the DPI info that they published with regards to the Fin Fisheries survey is inaccurate (I don't know if it is or isn't as I am no expert) does anyone have any hard facts as to the length that Jacks need to be to be sexually active?

Cheers

John

some type of limitation might make people realise that jacks are a precious fish. the idiot across from my unit pulled a 74cm beauty out of currumbin creek the other day and kept it. i wanted to cry when i saw the picture, a fish like that in a small creek (or and river) deserves its territory.

if your after a feed, go a few hours earlier or later and catch bloody bream, there a pain in the ass in some areas, or why not flathead, one decent flatty is a decent feed for a few people, so why not let the jack go, its a rub in the face for the ones we so many release. 26 jack would be a lifetime of memories in a picture as oppose to tasting ordinary after being frozen for 6 months
    cheers can do

Here in qld we still have no bag limit for bream and our fishing body sunfish doesnt want one!!! can you believe that!! sunfish is a leftover from the old club days when you killed all you could, a limit of 2 jacks is more than enough, i have spent many hours chucking lures for bream and flattys and have not caught a jack yet.

how about 1 in posession with a slot limit 40 - 50cm and a closed season matched to barra

Banshee,

I beleive that we have been like this with Jacks as they are a hell of alot more
    illusive to catch than flatties.

Those and I put my self in this category that I have only ever kept a hand full
    of Jacks, I specificly go and target jacks live baiting and on sp's and I would like to continue do this for some time.
    It is my opion that most and I would love to say all that target jacks have their best interests at heart(The fish's I mean). By this I mean that they do catch and release 100% or keeping a feed and thats about it.
    There has been more persons targeting Jacks over the past 2 yrs, I personally have mates that have never caught jacks and it is only the guys i trust to do
    "The Right Thing" that i will take the time and show/ share the lil that I have to offer.

It IS a pitty that we have such short sighted people that dont look to the future
    regarding fish stock and I am talking across all species not just jacks.

Aj

P.S Beleiving what I said in an earlier post re jacks breeding habits. I think it would be a fair assumuption that they are not of breeding age/ maturity until they are in open waters. ( Guessing 60+cm / 3kg mark)

The only Jack I have ever eyeballed is in at tank at Under water World (in with the Barra and worth a look in)...They sure dont like my hooks!!

Bag & Size limit is sure the go...Old Davo must have a lot of kids to feed. I mean he must do right....yeah!! Why else would ya!!!

BilgeBoy

Quote fromthe ABC link that Owen posted.

"Nearly all mangrove jack captured by Recreational fishers in estuaries are juvenile fish, with 50% of all female jacks reaching sexual maturity at 512mm and males 459mm"

This being the case that near all jacks that we catch are not of an age that
    they can reproduce. I would love to know a lil more about this. As the quote states that 50%, when does the other 50% hit maturity.

???????? Aj

Bag limits for Jacks have no effect on me as I can't catch even one but for everyone else if the previous posts about breeding age are right it should be size limits not bag limits

there should be a bag limit of 2 between 40 and 70 or something like that. nice to see one over 70 though. come on fisheries pull ya finger out and save one of the best estuary fish that we have

Re: How Rediculous it is there are no Bag limits on Jacks!

Go to this site and read the PDF report. http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/far/9229.html

This is the most substantial report on mangrove jack behaviour etc. in Australia therefore the most reliable.

The best thing that can happen with regards to future stocks of MJ's is if the hatcheries were to release info on how to spawn them for restocking purposes. This will not happen in the near future because there is too much money to be made selling MJ finderlings to the aquarium industry and there is very few hatcheries that no how to breed them. This is why there are very few stocked in Tineroo and awoonga. But maybe in time they will flood the market.

Jacks will never be threatened because they are very widespread throughout the globe. Unfortuantly most of us live in the Southern most range of MJ's (fewer numbers) but according to the Gov report there are bigger Ave sizes in the southern estuaries.

One other point I would like to raise is that why don't more people give stick to the reef fisho's who constantly catch and keep the breeding jacks, then post up pics and get praised, but when someone posts a pic of a dead breeder flathead they get roasted. I agree with banshee.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderbite View Post
    I live in Noosa and can tell you a lot of Jack out of the Noosa River get sold on the black market. I remember see a couple of dozen Jacks in the window of a local shop here, when I asked where they came from the guy had no quams in telling they where from the Noosa River, he even seemed quite proud of the fact. As for Davo's they are one of the local tackle shop in Noosa.

Cheers
    You are spot on there mate....Noosa is really bad for Black market sales.
    There are alot of meat fishos in Noosa too.

I support Jeremy's comment,

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Totally agree.

But what is an opinion worth?

If you haven't already, why not put in a submission to the Qld Inshore Finfish review with the suggestion. There is currently a questionairre asking for feedback. This closes on the 7th of Feb.

Jeremy

so if you want to really make some contribution, respond to the questionairre, it is a direct and real opportunity!
    You say fish, I say yes please.

I have filled out the questionaire...We also handed it out to many people from the shop I work in.