Thread: please help im new

please help im new

hey guys,

I am planning a trip to NZ next summer and want to get into some fly fishing down here on the Gold Coast in the mean time. Can anyone recommend a good combo to start with and what sort of money im looking at. Initially i dont want to spend an aweful lot as it might not be for me.

i would like to target giant herring, flathead etc down here but also fish for trout in the streams of the south island when we go. Any help is much appreciated

thanks guys,

Ben

Yellahunter, I started out and was advised to get the best gear I could afford to start with as a good rod, reel and line will make all the difference when you are learning to cast.

I stupidly sold my gear a few years ago, but I spent about $500 to get started. I used to grab the privately run ferry over to wavebreak island on the Gold Coast and cast small bread flies in my burley stream. It was great fun practicing casting into the wind and picking up some descent sized bream and flatties.

I tried flyfishing at borumba and found it difficult when you are a newbie and with mates as you all get in each other ways. Fishing the upper arms at Borumba was good when the water was low and you could walk and stalk the toga.

I had a g.loomis fly rod, reel (can't remember), and slow sinking line to start out with.

The main problem I had when I started out was getting to much whip action and snapping my leader and flies...lol For the record, I managed to work it out after 6 months of casting, only to sell the gear (was a Uni student in need of money).

I am sure someone more current with the latest gear will steer you to a good entry level rig. what sort of dollars are we talking?

cheers
    Roydsy
    Last edited by roydsy; 29-01-2007 at 02:15 PM.
    Not enough time in the day, to many spots to fish!

Mate I started out with an old Olympic fibreglass stick which was heavy and handled like a broom but still managed to get me some great fish.
    A really good starter kit that a mate of mine picked up was an eight weight Abu setup, Rod, Reel, Line and rigged up ready to go from Tackle Warehouse on Old Cleveland Rd Brisbane. From memory it was around $200 and is still going strong 7 years later. Might be a little heavy for trout but will handle flatties and trevally fine. So it won't leave you too out of pocket if you decide you don't like it and from there you can upgrade into the $1000 mark if you go fly crazy, trust me it can happen, there is nothing like that direct feel to the fly and fish in any other line of fishing.
    Will try and post a pic of the Abu and a fish if I can dig one up from the past.

Cheers Dave

concentrate most of your outlay on a decent quality rod and line - reel not so important. guys mention a specialized fly tackle shop on another thread or good tackle store should have range of gear and knowledge. reckon 7 weight rod shud be about rite for ur needs and intermediate weight forward line. the abu diplomat reels are a decent cheap reel - make sure u wash them and dry them after salt water fishing thou

If you could get up to Brisbane some time mate I would gladly supply the gear and can put you on to a few fish just to see if you like it before you go out spending hard earned cash. PM me if you are interested.

Dave.