Thread: hydrofoil advice

hydrofoil advice

Guys

I have just been given a boat, see my signature below. I have put the largest HP outboard on it that it is legal for. I went the 40HP Yam with the PTT on it. It's great and the boat is more than fast enough. It does take a little while to get out of the hole though but the main thing is when just cruising along the motor is a bit heavy and we are sitting tail down, a lot! I don't know if you guys can see attached pics yet, I know I can't but I've attached one anyway.

So will a hydrofoil alleviate problems when NOT on the plane? I am putting the electric on soon and with that will also go my 35kg gel battery up the front as well. I have also put the missus on a chocolate/beer/pizza only diet to add a few kilos up the front. I am also considering moving the fuel tank up the front as the live bait tank is going up the back soon.

So besides this question about non planing help who uses what and which is the best? Oh yeah, is there no way out of fitting these things besides drilling holes through my brand new motor?!

Henno
    aka Mark
    aka themooks
    Last edited by -Henno-; 28-01-2007 at 10:52 AM. Reason: left out a bit

First thing I would look at is motor Height in the cav plate should be level or just above the bottom of the boat.

If it's a lot longer and the cav plate is well below the bottom of your boat your going to get that nose up effect, You may have to raise the motor.

Got any pics of the motor down and in relation to the bottom of the boat

Quote Originally Posted by themooks View Post
    Guys

So will a hydrofoil alleviate problems when NOT on the plane?
    Henno
    aka Mark
    aka themooks
    In a nutshell not much if any at all. They work better with a bit of pace.
    The cook on a beer and pizza diet is the go (you might get some left overs ) and wait until all the extras are in the boat and then do a weigh up

Don't know what your boat's internal layout is like, but I would try increasing what you store at the front of the boat.

In my boat, I got a long fuel line and have my tank under the front csting platform.

Other than the battery, I store only very light stuff in the transom space.

Having said that. I still ended up fittting a permatrim to improve the transition to the plane and to give me a lower planing speed.

Luc

Nope... you will get minimal lift from any style of planing plate under about 6 knots. Depending on the style the plates use either just momentum of the plates travelling through the water on an angle to create lift, such as the Permatrim, or an airplane wing type design to alter high and low pressure waves to create lift such as SE Sports plates. Neither of these will do much for you below 6 knots though.

See my previous posts about attaching planing plates to motors and some of the good and not so good points of it.

Hi Mooks
    Cant see ya fattening up a thoroughbred. If the problem is when just puttering around/at rest ect, my thoughts are to get a couple of little pods built to fit on transom either side of the motor to increase bouyancy cause it sounds to me like the new donk or the load is to aft. Move what you can up front then go the pods. Hydrofoils are to increase lift under power and I dont like them anyway.
    cheers
    blaze

Move fuel tank and as much stuff u can foward, even try one of those extension for the tiller things, so you can sit forward alittle as well....

But, Blades idea of getting pods made is your best bet!!!! I also don't like foils, if u set up your boat correctly their is no need for them.. also if it is too stern heavy and not setup correctly? and u just throw on a foil....it can damage your motor(cav plate), It can end up cracking the plate...

Good read.

I may well consider taking my hydrofoil off then..?

Does anyone use hydrofoils here and if so can anyone recommend them or should I remove mine?

(PS - I have Bennetts trim tabs fitted as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle Billy View Post
    Good read.

I may well consider taking my hydrofoil off then..?

Does anyone use hydrofoils here and if so can anyone recommend them or should I remove mine?

(PS - I have Bennetts trim tabs fitted as well.)
    I use them and they work for me.
    Ask Aussiefool about the one I made for him. I reckon you'd have to rip both his arms and left ear off to get his off his little boat.
    They don't work for everybody.

Rip yours off mate. You have tabs.

gday mooks,
    nice rig you got their bud !!!!
    to fix your proublem get as much weight out of
    the transom area for a start. if you want to get the nose
    down more when travelling at slower speeds i would go the foil.
    this disscussion of if they work or not has come up a few times and
    it seems they have a good success rate, had stingrays( i think) on the last
    2 boats and i swear by them. hopes this helps and say gday to terri !
    cheers dale

A couple of sandbags upfront may just do wonders for you matey
    George

Thanks Finga.

Does the foil perform same function as the tabs?

Is there any advantage/benefit of having the foil plus tabs?

Onya Mooksy,

I reckon I've solved your problem....
    Let Terri drive, and you take a leisurely seat up front big fella

Just kidding. I think the root cause of your problem is that since you've put the highest HP on, you've also put the max weight on. From my experience, I reckon a foil will help. It'll get you on the plane quicker, reduce porpoising and keep the nose down (on or off plane). You may lose a bit of top-end speed, but as you say, speed's not an issue.

I don't know of any way of fitting one without holes in a motor unfortunately. As others have said, I'd try redistributing the weight as much as practical first of all. You should be able to pick up a foil for $20-$30 though.

Just my opinion of course...

Good luck,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle Billy View Post
    Thanks Finga.

Does the foil perform same function as the tabs?

Is there any advantage/benefit of having the foil plus tabs?
    They do pretty well the same job matey. But tabs are better at the job.
    Having both is like having a hanky to blow your nose and a finger to pick it. They're different things but the end result is the same....kinda....and the hanky is a better option

No advantage in blowing your nose and picking it at the same time. Gets all messy. Pretty well the same with tabs and foils.

Sorry about the analogy but that's the best i could think of. I think I'm getting a cold

Good idea 2iar. Get Terry to do the navigating so old matey, the mooks, has more time to fish. That might be the only way the poor bugger has a chance of out fishing Terry...by handicapping her
    Last edited by finga; 28-01-2007 at 09:21 PM.

Hi Mark have a 4.2 and a 30 yam on it with tilt and trim i put a stingray and we found it a lot better at getting upon the plain. I have all so been doing some homework in props and have had been told that the yam props are not quite up to it and are slow at getting the boat on the plain . I am looking at a cupple of different props on Monday and if they do what i have been told it will will be a lot happier so donut just look at the hydrofoil maybe you need to look at your prop as well .
    Hello