Thread: looking for second hand epirb

looking for second hand epirb

Guys,

I am after a second hand epirb to get out to some close in reefs but don't want hassles from the johnny hoppers as they are more than 2 miles off.

At the moment I don't have $470ish lying around for one of the new ones and if I got in trouble I would stay under anchor and use my mobile or radio anyway as I am so close. So please no lectures from Mr Safety conscious.

If anybody has one lying round just to get me outside (a little) with some currency left on the battery give me a PM please.

Mark

Mate if budget is a problem, buy a new 121.5epirb. As low as $159.00 if you shop around.

IMHO it's a risk geting a 2nd hand unit.

Mike

Just watched a second hand 121.5 go for $168.00 on ebay and was 2 years old. What the? battery was only good to May08

I thought maybe at $50 it would do but wow.

the everyday price on a GME MT400 is $420 at my local Chandlery and you see them on special for $399

Cheers Murf

mate just go a 121.5 . who the hell can afford that ridiculous pricing of the mt400. i know i wont be buying one until the 121.5's are obselete

Marlin mike, as I said I don't really think the risk factor comes into it for 2 reasons. 1st I am so close to shore that I wouldn't use the thing if I got into trouble anyway. 2nd financially the risk is minimal on a second hand unit as it will go in the bin in 2008 anyway, thats only next year.

Murf, I too have been watching the ebay prices and have been pissed and amazed. Who the hell is bidding on these things that are going to be book ends in just over a year!?

I reckon a fair price for a second hand unit with 12 months left on the battery should be 100 bux. Any extra time on the battery is a mute point when ya not allowed to use it past then.

Buy a new one you tight ass !

Mooks, dont take this the wrong way, but.................

if you think you wouldnt use it if you got into trouble, and you never go that far off shore, well sorry mate but that is just plain bloody stupid.

If it can go wrong it will, and is you life really worth a few bucks difference in price between a possible piece of 2nd hand shite off ebay, and a new 121.5 that is only $159 brand new from almost any boat yard or chandlery??????????

mate, put some real value on your life and that of anyone who might go out with you. At the elast Buy a new 121.5, i am sure your life is worth $159.00........... fobbing it off cause they are gonna be redundant in a year and a bit is stupid foolish and puts little value on human life

If you cant do that mate, then maybe you shouldnt be fishing outside the limits

Mike
    Last edited by Marlin_Mike; 29-01-2007 at 06:28 PM.

I'm sure I made a request in my first post about no lectures from Mr safety conscious. Just couldn't help yourself though could ya mate.

I will take your words of wisdom on board. Nice outburst though.

I love this site...dinner and a show

Given the price of a brand new 121 mhz, paying over $100 for a second hand one seems insane. Personally as long as it tests OK on the test button and looks in good clean nik, why not get a second hand one fellas?

...if your willing to wait a year of so my 121 is still in test...