View Poll Results: Should motor size be a issue.

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO!!

69 66.99%
  • yes

31 30.10%
  • Don't have a veiw?

3 2.91%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lenthalls... do we have a say at all?

Interesting point about the emissions......my mate looked into the possibility of electric only dams allowing fourstroke vessels in the future and the answer was surprising (well to me anyway),it appears emissions don't come into the equation as electric only dams in Nth NSW and SE QLD are 'Earthen Dams' and the restrictions are to stop wash generated by any power vessel disturbing the sediment/shoreline.Don't know the dam in question at all,is it a western type rock dam or the eastern soil type? Maybe you are being eased into an electric only type situation?

I have a few concerns with regard to what is happening at Lenthall's, and eventually other dams which have had their administration handed over, and I'll try to sound slightly intellectual here.

It would be helpful if we were advised the reason for the HP limits. Is it pollution? If so, let's look at where the water is drawn for public use. I do not know where the actual water is taken for Wide Bay use, but I do no about Somerset and Wivenhoe. Somerset allows petrol motors with no overall speed restrictions. Ignore the 6 knot zones due to low water. Wivenhoe only allows petrol motors in an emergency, or if they are fitted to a trailer sailer type vessel. (Nup, dunno why they can use them!) All of the water from Somerset either goes to Kilcoy, for their public usage, (they musn't worry about the pollution aspect) or into Wivenhoe, which must have a special filter at the top of the dam to remove all the pollution before it hits Big W. The water then passes from Wivenhoe to either Esk, for public use, or down the Brisbane River to Mt Crosby. Between Wivenhoe and Mt Crosby, Lowood and Fernvale take their water, (and pump their treated sewage) but petrol outboards are again permitted on the river above where Brisbane draws it's water. I also draw your attention to the proposal from our State Government that a water grid be introduced so that water can be shared between dams in times of shortage. They must be fitting filters so the pollution from Boondooma, Bjelke Petersen, Borumba and Somerset does not get transferred to Wivenhoe and Hinze. My conclusion here is that "pollution from internal combustion engines" cannot be the reason for not permitting petrol engines.

Erosion! Perhaps this could look like a reason to someone who has not been on Lake Lenthalls, or any other dam. Erosion from power boats does occur as can be seen at Somerset Dam, but hang on, why is there the same erosion at Wivenhoe? Could it possibly be caused by wind and the common practice of clearing all trees from the banks during construction of the dam.

I've come to the conclusion that Water Corporations, they are no longer Government departments, find it difficult to administer the recreational usage on their dams. They obviously fail to see the income generating potential of recreational usage to small towns in the vicinity of these dams. Businesses Kilcoy, Esk and Fernvale obviously earn money from users of Somerset and Wivenhoe. (I buy at least one Fernvale pie every time I fish there!) They want to sell their water for the maximum amount of money they can get, with the minimum outlay. No public usage of the facility will see it much easier for them to accomplish this.

Bomber is correct. These impoundments were built with taxpayer's money. The administration of the water has been handed over to other enterprise, however I'm sure the actual dam must still belong to us, the taxpayers.

Unfortunately, my conclusions will never have a large influence on the Water Corporations. Maybe the only thing that will, is public safety. If I have to remove the motor from my boat to use Lenthall's, and I go for a fish, and all the Fernvale pies I've eaten catch up with me and I have a heart attack in my boat, where am I? My mobile doesn't work there, and I don't have a motor to get back for medical treatment in a timely manner. OK, I'm dead, and it's a tragedy, and I can't sue them, but maybe my family can. I hope so, because if it wasn't for their unjustifiable rules, I may still be alive.

My last thing is to liken these rules to road rules. How many Councils have a 50kph limit, and also direct that only 4 cylinder cars can use that street. It'd never happen on the road, but it may happen on our waterways.

Very sound argument Slowood. Methinks problem is public officials who do not have a clue , do not wish to think or move out their comfort zone.So when they are confronted with a problem they take the easy way out rather than solve the original problem.
    The crying shame is that we are at their mercy no matter what.
    Ray

NOt so much as not having a clue, but trying to keep the vocal minorities happy.

According to today's news the Gold Coast's Mayor has announced that his people won't be drinking recycled "sewage" (Just a point. The use of the word sewage, rather than recycled "water" which is what it actually is, helps give the non thinking punters the revulsion he's looking for!) but, in reality, he is getting some water from Mt. Crosby, so he is getting the recycled water from Kilcoy, Esk, Coominya, Lowood and Fernvale which in some cases is not treated as effectively as the recycled water that will be piped up there in future. He obviously knows this, but does not want to admit it to his constituents. Why??????

The more everyone tries to fight these new regulations the harder it will be to keep the dam open in the future as people know there dams that are closed to the boating and fishing public

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    The use of the word sewage, rather than recycled "water" which is what it actually is, helps give the non thinking punters the revulsion he's looking for!
    It is recycled sewage, (or more correctly effluent, because it has a lot more waste in it than just sewage) recycled water is what comes out of something like the the Birdseye factory - it has nothing in it but used water, and maybe a bit of dirt. Recycled effluent has not only sewage, but chemicals such as acids, caustics, detergents, dyes, hydrocarbons, salt and other nice little additives like heavy metals.

The use of the term "recycled water" is the spin put on it to make it sound like something pleasant for the average punter. I dont care about its use, I just dont like them trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by jack-n-barra View Post
    The more everyone tries to fight these new regulations the harder it will be to keep the dam open in the future as people know there dams that are closed to the boating and fishing public

So what do you think we should do J-n-B, bend over and think of England.

Listen M62 after driving for an hour and a half to go and fish at Lenthals which I have done many times before only to find locked gates one afternoon and no signs on the Highway so I had to go all the way in to find out .So I'm definatley not happy about the situation but WBW have allready published their new regulations for the dam in the papers so I doubt they are likley to do a back flip. I totaly agree that there is no sense in the decisions that have been made but as a rule these type of department do not change their mind regardless of the pressure that is put on them because they ultimatley have the final say.

Gday fellas
    I am new to this forum and relatively new to impoundment fishing , but I did spend some time at Lenthals over the break and found it a treat that it had a speed limit on it, being a small body of water that offers lots of good fishing in the back waters , really why would you want to go any faster , and besides being dangerous to other fishos we came around one tight bend full noise on my 35 yr old 3 hp johno and there was a cow having a dip!
    Good on them for keeping boaties under control.
    Mark
    Ps don’t care about motor size speed is the factor for me.

There are rules and regs everywhere,And for everything.Rules for a decent society.Rules at work,For the road on ya way to work,Fish sizes,And catch limits.And the list just goes on and on.I don't understand why you just can't abide by them?As you do for every other minute of your life.

I fished the dam very comfortably on the Australia Day weekend with only an electric,And I was more than happy.I think an electric only option is a good one.It is only a small dam,And two batteries will get you anywhere and back comfortably,And it would control emissions,Speed limits,And accidents.There is no need for combustion engines there.

I have an 11ft jet boat,And it's awsome...But if I want to fish Baroon Pocket,I take my kayak and electric...If I fish Ewan Maddock,It's the kayak and paddle.You just need to accept rules.As they are a part of life.Like it or not.I do,And I enjoy a number of different locations,And the fishing opportunitys they provide,Without hassle.
    The underlying spirit of angling,Is that the skill of the angler,Is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish,And that the latter is entitled to an even chance for his life. Regards, Hardb8.Kickin tails and razin scales since 1979.

Just a bit off topic . Does anyone know if there are shrimp and redclaw there. I am going there on 15th and wondering if its worthwhile takeing shrimp and redclaw pots.
    Thanks
    Ray

Re: Lenthalls... do we have a say at all?

shrimp yes redclaw not spose to be

TT

Can any one inform me if I'm permitted on Lenthals at the moment or after the construction is finished if I remove the prop from my 40 hp 2 stroke and just use my bowmount electric? The 40hp is bolted on and my handicap, allthough slight does not allow me to remove a 90kg outboard.
    Thanks

No outboard of that size is allowed must be removed at the moment.... When WBW decide ......that the construction is finished and a ranger is in place outboards up to 60 will be allowed

Hey Guys

From last Fridays paper it looks like being.

From April - ish...

6 HP two strokes adn up to 60 HP FOUR STROKE ONLY.

Be great to be back on the dam again.

Pete