ive just posted a post in the freshwater section,
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...972#post562972

if anyone has any info on going to nz it would be much appreciated,

thanks heaps

Ben

Hi yellahunter

Here is the link to the NZ version of our group

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/default.asp

Maybe make contact with them and you should be steered in the right direction.

Cheers

Chimo

Hi yellahunter

I just saw the date of your first post, you have probably been and come back by now, how was it?

Chimo

I might have worded things wrong but we wont be in NZ until jan08

You won't need a guide. Agree that they are far too expensive and really cater for the Yank market.

You'll be driving next to a lot of rivers and access to most is easy. When you buy your licence, ask for the little guide pamphlets for the rivers you want to fish. Most areas have these and shows access points, basic flies to use etc.

Gear - a 5/6 weight is best (6 probably as can get windy), floating line is fine for rivers (you may want a slow sink for lakes) and I'd buy all my flies there - you'll get plenty of tips and help from the shops there.

You'll enjoy your trip and I'll be surprised if you don't catch a few good fish.

Hi Yellahunter,

Just to whet your appetite, I was staying at a motel at the outlet of Lake Rotarua where it narrows into a channel last year. It was the day before the lake was closed to fishing for spawning or whatever and I watched two guys haul in about 8 each in five minutes.

I don't know what the bag limit was but they were throwing most of them back. When I mentioned to one of them I'd never tasted trout he handed me one (brown trout from memory) - 2 kgs cleaned.

Used the fishing club smoker which was on the grounds of the motel there. Very tasty indeed.

Happy hunting! Dave

Re: first trip to NZ - any advice guys

Thanks for putting up this post..I'm off to NZ tomorrow(taupo area for starters)so your info is muchly appreciated guys. Being a north Queenslander my trout hang around big bommies.
    thanks again guys
    Alan

Just got back from NZ, in a word..INCREDIBLE...anyone I met over there was willing to help, from the fishing shops to cleaners in the motels. I went down to a river in rotorura and a guy walking around down there helped me to set up my flies for the area. This happened everywhere I went. I also want to give a plug for the way the kiwi's have managed their fishing environment, with fish access points ,so you don't get booked for tresspassing. hope you have a ball... I did

alan
    now i have to learn to fly fish for barra......

dont get a guide no need