Thread: Bronze Whaler or Bull shark ? ID required

Bronze Whaler or Bull shark ? ID required

Anyone able to ID this Bitey for me Bronze Whaler or Bull shark ?
    My money is a Bronzey, Maz says small Bully..... any thoughts????

G'day

I'm going to make the call of bronzie... a bull would be thicker set around the shoulders.

Dave

G'day
    I'm going to make the call of bronzie... a bull is much thicker set around the shoulders.

Dave

Wong , I reckon one on left is bronzy , one on right is different type ?????

Bronzey

Bulls are thicker around the head/neck area (if sharks have a neck?)

Mark

Yep ain't no bull shark them things is Ugly.
    The bronzie, is a good looker in comparrison.

Guys , check out the photo of the 2 on bow.
    One has straight dorsal and the other has a curved dorsal ???
    Don't know but looks like 2 different ones ???
    Ta.

1st pic looks like a bull to me.
    bronzies I've caught actually have a 'bronze' colour about them, bulls are darker and heavier in comparison, imo.
    Cheers.

If that picture is from queensland it is very unlikley that's its a bronzie. Bronze whalers are a temperate( cold ) water species with there northern range being coffs harbour on rare occassions that one is seen locally it will be in offshore waters in winter. The bronze whaler has kind of become a generic term for whalers all round australia but very few queensland boaties would have come across one.

Try this. www.marinethemes.com/bronzewhaler.html

Back to the shark , the are over 50 species of whaler shark and the one in the picture at a guess is the grey whaler commonally found in thhe bay and coastal waters particularly in the surf zone.

I reckon its a whaler too. Probably a grey as finding_time says. Another common whaler around SE QLD is the dusky, but they have a taller straighter dorsal fin. They are pretty aggresive. Bulls are much thicker leading up to the dorsal fin, they also have a blunter looking nose.

Brett

Thanks guys... appreciate the responses. Thinking you are right re two slightly different species as ones teeth were way larger than the other and yet they were both with 10cm of each other in length.. They are Moreton Bay boys them sharkies taken not far from Amity Point ( re the thoughts of Bull sharks)
    Cheers
    Norm

There teeth may give you a better id. See links below for info. Leigh
    http://www.traderdon.com/jawID.htm
    http://www.elasmo.com/
    Last edited by lee8sec; 18-01-2007 at 03:51 PM. Reason: extra info

That's fairly shallow water? What was done with the sharks as I was always under the impression to chop off head, tail and fins if you want to keep them for there meat.

Anyhows, a nice catch, I bet they proved fun and excitment.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Show me the Snapper!

very shallow water in the pics yep
    in reference to what was done with the old mates..... I have a buddy who will eat anything he says they are great. so not so edible bits are crab bait.
    Cheers
    Norm