Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cressbrook Dam

The_Walrus

Re: Cressbrook Dam

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto
    Hey Luc, Sounds like you don't do alot of fishing up at Somerset, I can tell you 4/5 years ago the amenities that are currently available to Campers Boaties and Fishers ect were not available, That does not sound like a board that give a Rats arse about amenities or maitenance. Whitto ???
    Whitto,

I have been canoeing/fishing Sommerset, Whivenhoe and the Brisbane River for more than 20 years. Yes I'm well aware of and have enjoyed the improvements at Sommerset.

As I've said in my reply to Fitzy, I have problems with the change in attidute since the move to privetisation. I firmly beleive that the public got well and truly shafted in the process.

Luc

The_Walrus

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy
    That's a your call Luc. Just so long as you've got a SIP permit you'll be fine. Just hope you go else where to kill any fish.
    Fitzy,

I have not killed a bass in at least 20+years.

In my local area, (Pine Rivers) I average 70 to 80 bass per season.

I have no problems the SIP, but I do have problems with the bloody minded attitude of the water board and sunwater especially since both these bodies were privatised. Both these set of idiots seem to firmly beleive that they're a law unto themselves.

Luc

"These fees must not be too restrictive if Somerset attracts so many visitors at present. The potential for this place is enormous." A fair comment fitz

There camping fees $10.00 per night is fine don't have a problem with that, but don't see the reason to raise the fee over peak times ie long weekends school hols etc etc to $ 15.00. That to me is just a money grab. If it is still on a per vehicle basis that needs to be a bit more flexible. As in our comp a few years back a husband and wife came up in two cars because of thier work situation, and they wanted to charge each one the camping fee. The ranger would have nothing of it, so i told my mate to leave a car outside and walk in we'll get the car latter. Happened a few times during that comp. DICKHEADS.

Per camp site would be better.

Yes the place has great protential I wonder how much better it would have been without the boating permit ??? and the event costs ???

Why is there a need to charge to hold a comp ??? it's just a heap of people getting together over a weekend to fish. They say it costs them money. How so??? What do they do if 2000 people opt to go there on the same weekend do they say they are running a comp and charge them, "NO". But tell them you are holding a comp and out goes the hands. Hell you would figure you are doing something for the loacl area but getting the numbers to the place on what would be a normally dead weekend which gets more camping fees dare i say "boating fees" which they would not have had except for the comp and still they want to charge over and above.

And it's not only fishing events, weddings or similar are classed as an event so out goes the hands again. If memory serves me correct it's $200 for up to 150 persons after that it's $50 - 100 for each 50 or part there of after that.

It's claimed if you pay that events fee you get exclusive rights to say who can and cannot come in. At your comp fitz i guess it works. For ours it was stupid and just a waste of money.

This events fee does not include any camping fees or day trip fees.

You and I and i'm sure a host of others would like to lease the place and manage it but know how unmanageable it would be with the waterboard in your ear all the time. >

I wonder what will happen if no one takes up the lease/s and the waterboard DO not want to run and manage it. Does the place close ??? as i'm sure they will say we tried to lease it but no one was interested ??? an unlikely situation i hope ?

Time will tell
    Bugger think i'm still at baffle creek starting to fire up again . Better get my rods and go fishing

Hey what day you heading into the show Fitz ?

Fitzy, its an idea I've had elsewhere to push for Barra in Wivenhoe. You would think with Barra the water corp might be able to make a lot more money out of Wivenhoe. I could imagine 100+ boats wach paying $20 a weekend to fish it if it had a good supply of barra. Thats 52 x 100+ x 20 = $540,000+ a year. 2 or 3 years of putting $250,000 a year into Barra stock and it would be a huge asset to them.

Worst case is 50 boats at $11 a head. Thats still $130,000+

Best case is 200 boats @ $20. Thats a lot of money.

They could make it catch and release or 1 fish Max. Reduce restocking costs and make more $$$ for sunwater. Add a few cabins etc.....

Sun water could make money hand over fist. And given thats all they care about they'd have to be interested.

Brian,
    Will be at the boat show every day. Look me up if you come. Will be around the casting alley.

Lordy.
    Actually, Sunwater & SWQWCorp aren't allowed to make money from anything other than selling water.
    THere is some issue with the ACCC (?or other) in regard to access fees being charged at these places, Hence there is no $5 fee to go to Cormorant Bay area @ Wivenhoe as was planned for a few months ago.
    Aparently it is outside of their operational licence to charge access fees. This will probably result in less access, as they get around these issues.
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

No problems most likely head into the show tomorrow so will look for you at the casting area.

> > >Just got back from Cressbrook,
    Beautiful camp area but no place to charge the battery for the electric outboard.

Last time I was there it was OK, but the ranger said it was no longer allowed. He said people were leaving their batteries lying around and it posed a risk to children.That much I can understand but not giving the fishermen access to charging facilities is another.
    It only took us about 5 minutes to come up with an idea to fix it. A fenced in area with a pool type fence, a roof, and power. This way little children can't access the area.I was given the old budget routine. Next time I'll spend my money in a different shire.

The present arrangements makes it impossible for the fisho who stays at the campsite and lets face it electric motors are everywhere these days. Our plans to fish Cooby as well as Cressbrook were stiffled.

Unfortunate as it's a great campsite with great fishing.

Davo

If the weather stays fine, we're going to head out to Cressbrook this Sunday, probably for a bit of an arvo fish. Got a stack of lures, spinnerbaits, etc. It'll be our first trip to this dam, so hopefully it will be successful! Happy fishing!

Katrina,

If your going to Cressbrook get some Slider plastics preferably the electric blue, it's a color that will catch fish anytime.

Christine

Thanks, Christine, I don't have any of those, so I'll look into acquiring some! Happy fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina
    Thanks, Christine, I don't have any of those, so I'll look into acquiring some! #Happy fishing!
    No worries Katrina.