Thread: baitcaster reel?

baitcaster reel?

i have just brought my first baitcaster reel.has anyone got any hints or tips on useing it and casting?

imported_admin

Re: baitcaster reel?

Hi

Check out the topic "i'v brought a baitcaster ? oh god help me plz !!!" on the general fishing chat board.

First item you'll buy is the baitcaster.

The second is a crochet needle!

Don't leave home without it!

Rosso.

The_Walrus

Hi Rocketman,

Well done on your purchase and ignore the doom and gloom prophets.

Best thing to do is to practice in your back yard. I'd start with a practice plug aroung half an ounce to give you a good casting weight. Leave the really light stuff until you are confident in your casting.

Start with easy cast to get your timing right and educate your thumb to feather the spool. Gradually built up your distance.

You may also find it usefull to cast at a target such as a bucket.

The secret to baitcaster is regular practise, preferably on the water, but if that's not possible the bucket in the backyard is always handy.

Your local library may have books on fishing that show you step by step.

Let us know how you go.

Luc

go at it like a golf swing mate...

dont go busting your bum let the tools do the work...

as the hairy toothed one said they are the goods and practice does make close to perfect (test best of the best still get the old birdsnest)...

once ya have the distance under control, add a target to the situation. A wheel barrow standing on its handles is a good one. Then as you improve reduce the size of the target, the better you cast the more fish you are going to catch.

Goes with all tackle mate fly rods the lot if ya dont practice, you can never improve and thats what its about improving.

take note on the spool pre load adjuster (small adjustercap) under the star drag area. This eases the preload or increases it, that in turn effects the amount of inertia (spelling) needed to get the spool rolling.

A game me and my mate play out in the boat when bored. the first bloke casts as far out as he can this set the target. the second then attempts to get his lure in to the rings of wake made buy the first lure. If ya get it in the circle you get to set the distance. Like playing that footy game trying to kick over your mates head and push him back. With this you are trying to set a distant target for him to hit. passes time in slow fish times and improves your distance casting cause it is practice with all the on boat conditions.

practice mate cant say it plain enough, if your any thing like me you will struggle when presented with an egg beater.