Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guides in Competitions

Re: Guides in Competitions

Changing the subject slightly, I have fished a few of the BASS and BREAM comps where there is a boater and non-boater, (pro and amateur?) As a boater, it is a lucky dip who you will draw as a non-boater, and there is no "code of conduct" for either. I had a non-boater at a BREAM comp, step onto my boat with a rod and reel, and 6 lures. This was for a full day's fishing. He had nothing to eat or drink with him, and expected me to share my lunch, drink and lures with him. I've had a guy sit in my boat all day and hang sh!t on it with quotes like "This boat is as rough as guts." At the end of the day's fishing this guy also invited his kids on board my boat and covered everything with mud. I've often seen non-boaters simply walk away from the boat when it returns to the ramp, without any offer of assistance to retrieve the boat. One guy I saw even left all his gear in the boat, saying nothing, and expecting it to be looked after for him until he returned. I've had a couple of true gentlemen as non-boaters, and one even gave me a $5 scratchie at the end of the day, saying he now does that for all the boaters he fishes with.
    Most boaters are not guides, or professionals, most of us spend a fair bit of money on our sport, to set up a boat to suit the style of fishing we enjoy. We do not expect non-boaters to act as if they a receiving a free guided fishing trip.
    I'm finding that I fish comps more for the comeraderie(p!ss-up?) than anything else. Comps like the Kirkleigh Classic are great ways to spend a weekend. You can fish with a mate, and choose the type of fishing you wish to do. There is no need to stress out about catching fish. I have enough stress in my life without stressing over something I do to unwind from that stress.
    OK sorry, I'll just jump down off my soapbox now and run away.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

well soaped AB

Good idea - apart from your misfortunes - with the draw a non-boater thingo...

I'm an ANSA bloke who does go to a few 'points' comp, but like you, I really look forward to the 'few refreshing ales' afterwards..

Cheers, Slates

As many would know i don't mind the odd ale as well ........... winning a comp or trying to out do others just seems like bloody hard work and i'm there to simply relax NO STRESS ....... i'm married i get enough ......... checks thats misses not looking

opppssss meant to say aussiebasser you must be a true gentleman .......... if someone hung shit on my rig and gave me crap all day ........... i could only handle that for a short period ... comp or no comp the prick would be swimming.

OK Mods,
    Don't delete Brian's post. He called me a gentleman, and that has to stay up there. I've been called lots of things lately, but gentleman, wasn't one of them. One thing I forgot to mention, is that some of the boaters don't exactly treat their non-boaters as well as they should.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to