Thread: freshwater filets

freshwater filets

Has anybody noticed the "freshwater fillets" now available in Supermarkets. No species is marked on them. A mate of mine asked what they were and after a bit of a chase around he was told CATFISH. I'm still trying to find out where they came from. Are they imported or local? I understood that there was no commercial fishing in fresh water in this state.
    saundy

Re: freshwater filets

Hi Saundy,
    You are right, there is no commercial fishing in Qlds freshwater, however there is a thriving aquaculture industry that breeds & grows silver perch, barcoo grunter (they call em jade perch) & barramundi for the table.
    So it could be a native fish you saw, or could be imported from O/S.

For a bit more info on the aquaculture side go to http://www.aaq.com.au/

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

if it is cat fish it may well be goldern cobler that they comercially farm in the west oz region (lake argile sp?)

cobler is a table name for cat fish...

Muz

other wise it may be nile perch sold as barramundi or like fitzy said...

The woolies 'expert' had know idea and asked his mate who supposedly 'knew more' and was convinced they were dory fillets of some kind. Things that make you go hmmmm.

JUST AN UPDATE. A DISGARDED BOX SAYS THAT THE CONTENTS WERE 'PANGASIUS'. NOT IN MY GRANTS BOOK. A SEARCH ON THE WEB SAYS ' A SEMI AGRESSIVE FISH, GROWS TO 36-39 INCHES, NATIVE OF THAILAND, FEEDING HABITS; JUVINILES; LIVE BLOOD WORMS, GLASS WORMS, BRINE SHRIMP, TUBIFEX WORMS AND FISH, FROZEN PLANKTON,BEEF HEART. FREEZE DRIED AND TABLET FOODS ALSO ACCEPTED.[YOU WOULDENT WANT TO FALL IN WOULD YOU?] ADULTS ARE PRIMARILY VEGETARIANS AS THEY LOSE THEIR TEETH WHEN THEY MATURE. SMALL FISH WILL BE EATEN BY ADULTS SINCE THEY SWALLOW THEM WHOLE. THIS FISH IS DEARER THAN SNAPPER[IMPORTED AS WELL]
    WHEN WILLTHE PUBLIC WAKE UP TO THE FACT THAT WE EXPORT OUR TOP QUALITY AND IMPORT THE LEFT OVERS FROM OVERSEAS.