Thread: Thompson River

Thompson River

couple of us are off to the Thompson at Longreach next month. (this will drag you in Bomber). River is running at the moment at about foot below old bridge.
    I havn't fished this river for about 10 years so are there any western visitors to ausfish that can tell me what gear to take out.
    I suspect the water will be too dirty for spinners if it is still running although I have heard they are finally cathing a few with spinners around the boat ramp?.
    No matter what we will sit on the bank and watch the sun go down - any fish will be a bonus.
    See ya all
    Sav

Re: Thompson River

I lived in Longreach for a few years in the mid to late 80's,never did the river ever resemble any form of clarity! Do they use spinners etc out there now? I used to go fishing with a friend and her dad, and we just chucked in bait on handlines. Her old man used to catch heaps. I only ever caught a catfish. Good luck

Katrina
    I've caught heaps of yellas on spinners in the Barcoo near Isisford but never in the Thompson myself. I heard from a couple of locals that fish have been caught on spinners near the boat ramp.
    I have also heard they catch them on spinners in the Darr River (runs in to thompson just south/west Longreach. This river has more rocky pools and tends to clear more than the Thompson.
    You bring back memories. I was born and bred out there and can remember my mother dropping me at the river with a few handlines and a dilly and old shin bone, and picking me up about 5 hours later. Always caught a feed for the family which was a big thrill for a kid.
    I'll put a post in here on how I go (late April we are going).
    See ya.
    Sav

My family had friends on a property on the Darr, but we only used to swim there. It was pretty muddy, I think the livestock stirred it up a bit. Have a nice time, hope the weather's kind. (I can remember a few April floods, but that'll get the fish going, anyhow). Good luck!