Thread: Murray Cod

Murray Cod

Gidday
    I was just wondering what lure people thnk is the best cod lure to use in the murray?
    colours, brands, sizes whatever

Mick

Re: Murray Cod

I have had alot of luck using a pink Dam Buster, My grandfather would do several trips to the Murray a year and swore by pink lures for cod. Anything that will move alot of water will give you a good chance. Also some of the bigger soft plastics rigged weedless will work as you can put them right in amoungst the snag and jiggle them on there nose and you can affoed to lose a few without breaking the bank.

best of luck

Simon.

g`day mick.
    i like lengend lures, and custom crafted, also stump jumpers are good aswell.. you can never have enough gear, i love lures as much as the fish, i will oneday make my own, they are to over priced for my likeing.. catch ya..
    casey..

Cremated_Reddog

Hiya casey, was talkin to a guy at bris boat show and he reckons he is the cheapest around for lures on his web site.www.luresdirect.com.au haven't had a look myself yet but you might find something on there you want. apparently they start at $5 so his card says.
    Cheers Reddog

Gidday Reddog,
    I went to that site yesterday. It looks great, I'll be ordering from there as soon as I get some money together.

Mick

Guess what cod enthusiasts, not that I have time to go spinning but the old man had three days off. He gave me a call last night to bragg about a 18lb cod, no worries. He rings me today one went 21lb the other 23lb. So if anyone is heading down to Lock 9 below Mildura throw a lure in. From experience anything goes for colours but just try and keep them as natural as possible. They eat anything really if there hungary, trust me. But by the rule of thumb have a variety of stumpies in the box. I'll try and keep everone updated on reports down here, but it's frustrating that I'm not out there.

My father lives in Mildura and has recently retired and goes fishing practically every day (don't know where I get it from) and he has been catching 1 to 2 cod a day on lures his biggest was just last week it weighed in at 60lb and the poor bugger spent quite some time trying to get it in his boat by himself only to let it go again after he got his lure out and took a couple of pics. He won't tell me his favourite spots but he has been catching all his cod on Stump jumper lures, green with a red belly work well but the last two weeks all his larger cod were caught on a stump jumper he found which is a gold colour. Which being as mad keen as he is, is now going to buy a few of this colour to put in his tackle box.
    He got a 29lb cod two days ago again on the gold stump jumper and when retreiving his lure found a Toohey's Blue beer can lodged in it's throat. So they do eat just about anything at times maybe the colour is worth chasing in a lure.
    Good Luck
    DUCKMAN

G'day Rumpig.
    Here are a few of my favorites.
    For casting; spinnerbaits, number 2 stumpies, codgers and knolls natives.
    For trolling; number 1 stumpies and codgers.

Fave color would be the gold chrome or the black barred with orange belly stumpy in #1. Both have pulled a lot of fish for me trolling.

Love casting around the logs with spinnerbaits though.!

Good luck!

Slates