Thread: Help on Queensland impoundment fishing

Help on Queensland impoundment fishing

I'm hoping to take No2 son to fish some of the impoundment's in Queensland over our (Vic) next lot of school holidays, 28/3 till 15/04.
    The plan so far was to start at Tinaroo then head south. #Maybe try
    Eungella Dam
    Koombooloomba
    Lake Awonga
    Peter Faust (Proserpine)
    What I'm after is any help on good areas to try, lure types etc. #He's a super keen young fisherman & I want to get him onto some fish with a bit of pulling power.
    Any ifo would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Grant Boyle

Re: Help on Queensland impoundment fishing

For the Barra dams try Gold Bomber lures. Recommended by just about everyone. Good luck.

brendan

Hi Gtrant how ya going.
    With the issues concerning the dams in FNQ I would have to say either go with someone expierienced or go with a guide.
    There is a really good guide in tinaroo,
    I will get his name and contact Number for you.
    There is another dam in FNQ that might be of some interest. Koombaloomba.
    This is situated near Ravenshoe on the tableands and has proven to be very good for sooty's.
    I fish there regulary and sooty's are everywhere!
    last trip we cleaned up 2 dozen of them. Great fun on light line.

Neil_c

Hi Grant

Eungella Dam fishes well for Sooties from daylight upto around mid morning and from about 3.00pm to dark. Find roosting cormorants in the morning and throw poppers or surface flies under them and you will get hits on splash down. When this goes quiet spinnerbaits, rattln spots or most minnows cast towards standing timber will certainly do the job. A bit of wind doesn't put them off either. If you are using a boat an electric outboard is an advantage, however one fella up here still gets a few trolling around the trees. Bait will always work regardless, frozen prawns would be the best. You can expect to get fish of around 250mm upto to some respectful 530mm models, these are the biggest landed that I am aware of but I suspect bigger fish are living in here.

Attached should be a happy snap of a mate of mine with a 50cm model from amoungst the trees.

I can still remember the look on my daughters face when she caught her first Sooty. It sure is worth the effort

Neil

As Brendan said, Koombooloomba is a great spot to catch spot to catch sooties, with thick schools that can be sighted amongst the timber structure. I did well with rattin spot type lures fish deep along structure during the day, and at night with small fizzers/ poppers worked across the top around the rocky edges ( look for the larger rocky areas).
    If chasing for some good info on Tinaroo call in and see Jason Swan at "Erskines tackle" or Glen Campbell at "The Northern Angler" in Edmonton, both guy have been pretty successful with the big tinaroo fish, and will give you a few pointers on where to start and preffered lures and methods.

Cheers Poony