Thread: Big Bass off the top????

Big Bass off the top????

(During spring/summer) I know Bass hit Surface Lures and Flies in Dams like Hinze,Baroon, ClareHall ect but what about Samsonvale and Somerset. Is it just a waste of time surface bugging in these big dams, or do the Bigger Bass just not feed of the top?I would give my left nut to get one of these big fellas on a Darlberg. Quinny......

Re: Big Bass off the top????

Quinny mate . . . i have seen enough big bass(50+F.L) taken on surface at Lake Cressbrook to make it worth while chasing them there. . .my mates and i have taken more then 3 or 4 big bass of the surface in one afternoon. . .the bad part is probably only a few have been caught on fly the rest fell to such lures as Skitta pops and zara puppys

As a matter of fact we r still gettin quite a few on surface at the moment. . .i don't know y ppl think its only useful in summer ???

Good fishin' to ya

CJ

I was at Cressbrook on Sunday with Fitzy, and the Ranger told us a 57cm fish was taken the day before on the surface. The surface water temperature was 12 deg. C, or 55 deg. F.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Yep there is some real good fish starting to come outta that dam. . .surface poppin got 2nd place for the biggest Bass section of the Cressy Classic this year. . .BTW how did you fellas go on sunday?

Cheers

CJ

It was fairly quiet there. We got 6 fish for the morning. 4 off the downrigger, 3 at 60' and 1 at 30', on Micro Mullets. Fitzy got a couple on Strike Zone Critters which would have been about 25' feet down. The thermocline is at 60', and I think you will see the Dam roll very soon. There were a lot of fish showing on the sounder, but they didn't seem real interested. I've never caught a Bass in water so cold before.
    Dale

Het Basser, told ya that the surface was the go in the AM.
    Quinny, I've flung, twitched & swam ever sort of popper, fizzer, blooper etc etc going at Somerset for a grand total of nothing. With the main protein source being bony bream out in the main basin, there seems to be very little fringe surface activity by the bass, golden etc. Not saying it wont happen there, just pretty rare IMHO.
    I know Big W, Samsonvale, Maroon, Lenthalls, Hinze, Cania and Gregory can all produce well for surface bass at certain times. Haven't given Barambah or Boondooma a crack on the top yet.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser
    It was fairly quiet there. #We got 6 fish for the morning. #4 off the downrigger, 3 at 60' and 1 at 30', on Micro Mullets. #Fitzy got a couple on Strike Zone Critters which would have been about 25' feet down. #The thermocline is at 60', and I think you will see the Dam roll very soon. #There were a lot of fish showing on the sounder, but they didn't seem real interested. #I've never caught a Bass in water so cold before.
    I was out there on saturday for the arvo and got a grand total of six as well (2 on fly and 4 on Rattlin traps) my cousin Zach and our mate carl did it pretty tuff as well. . .Its been abit hot and cold. . .the fishing that is the waters just bloody freezing.

Cheers

Chris

Yep,
    That water was as cold as a Mother-in-Law's kiss. And it don't get much colder than that. Lucky I had Fitzy to push the boat out for me. How tough must our Little Aussie Bass be. I've seen them in Borumba and MacDonalds in January this year when the water temp was 92 deg F, and now Cressbrook at 55 deg F.
    Dale

Hi allI was Re: Big Bass off the top????

Hi all
    I was out at Cressy yesterday and your right, the water was freezing. I was breaking in a new motor so trolled the edges for a couple hours for zero. Late in the afternoon I pulled up near the camping area and scored a couple at 35+ on sliders. Dam closes at 6pm so had to clear out - sure I would have scored a couple more but very slow.
    Next time.
    Sav

Fitz,

Have a grand total of one Bass on surface at Boondooma (Jitterbug in the Boyne Timber) for lots and lots of hours. Some dams just fish better than others for certain species and different techniques.