Thread: wivenhoe/somerset

wivenhoe/somerset

g'day all
    ok fellas, with the weather starting to heat up do either of these dams become an option for the shore based fly fisher. any hint appreciated as i have never fished either impoundment.
    cheers

Re: wivenhoe/somerset

Oi Fitzy,
    There's a bloke here looking for you.
    If the Fritz doesn't know, no one will know.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Wivenhoe spillway has been fishing well recently for bass. Most are small but there are a few larger ones in there aswell. Email me if you want to know where abouts to fish.

Hi Landy,
    Somerset is not really a shor based fly option. You can get tilapia from the bank at times however.
    Big W you're a bit of a chance in the right conditions. I think at present, with water levels slowly dropping, there wont be a great deal of fish around the margins.
    Landy I think Hinze & Maroon are far better LB Fly options for you.

Choung. There is currently a bass closed season. That means that targetting bass is also illegal. If you are fishing the spillway for bass at present, then you are breaking the law. QB&F Patrol officers make regular visits there as this is a trouble spot.
    I believe there is a move to make the Wivenhoe Spillway Common area a total "no fishing" zone.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

g'day again Fitzy
    cheers, i have an old article on fishing Hinze from shore around somewhere ill have to dig it out and have another look.
    tight lines

Didn't know that... had a look around there a few weeks ago and saw quite a few being caught there.

Chuong,
    Mate, forgot to mention that the closed season applies to riverine situations only. ie, no closed season in Lake Wivenhoe itself, but the river below the closed season applies.
    Hope that clarifies things better.

Cheers,

Fitz..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Landy, Hinze is the best landbase dam. I often dont bother taking my tinny at all. The Bass are not big(my pb is 42m for Hinze) but there are heaps and if you are there at dawn they are savage lil basstards. Poppers and Darlbergs are the best for early and late, Ive also got a Toga from here. If you can find that Mark Ward artical "Hinze from the bank" it will give you directions on some good spots, the big bay at the end of the old Advancetown rd is a great spot. good luck, Matt Quinn.......ps you still need a permit.....