Thread: How much is a megalitre....

How much is a megalitre....

Can anyone help with a little bit of relativity? How much water is there is a megalitre? How many, say ,olympic sized pools would one contain. Would appreciate any assistance. Lordy? Anyone with a better grip than I've got on those sorts of numbers.
    Long division sums were the pinnnacle of my maths career at school, tho' in the years following I got to be able to snap glance at a pen of sheep I'd just shorn and divide the ears by two.
    Need the detail to quantify for layfolk the volumes involved in these insane
    river diversions where the water wombats in Bribane have allowed cotton growers appropriate waters that should be going down the Darling for the well being of the system.
    Thanks for that.

Re: How much is a megalitre....

G'day Harro.
    That's a lot of Bundy!

Kilo = thousand
    Mega = million

One cubic meter of water is one thousand litres (one kilolitre) and very close to one thousand kilograms.

Therefore, if you have a pool that's 50m X 25m X 2m (guessing at the olympic size), you'd be looking at 2.5 megalitres.

Cheers, Slates

(I hope I've got that right!)

imported_admin

Hi

Quote from Sydney Aquatic Center

To answer it there are 3.25million litres of water in our olmypic pool. However this may vary on the depth of the pools
    when comparing to other Olympic pools. Our pool is deeper than most other Olympic pools and our depth goes from 2metres at one end down to 3 metres at the other. I hope this helps answer your query.

yeah, I assumed the pool depth was constant at 2m

imported_admin

Slates

I think usually they are but the Sydney one is a bit different. I would therefore go with your calculation of 2.5 Mega Litres.

Wow! that's more fingers than I can count...Thanks all.
    Don't forget to give me a yell when you come up, Slates...We'll work on some figures...like 50cm bass. Barra too, if there's time.

Interesting pool trivia there Steve!

Thanks Harro!
    Sounds great!

Cheers, Slates

thanks Luke

That depends Harro,
    On my rates bill it's about 60 cents.
    At the local pub, it's about a year's salary, and still not enough.
    At the mouth of the Brissy River, it's not enough room for me, Randall and 3 or 4 boat loads that saw me land a fish. Geez it can get crowded out there.
    At the Jindalee Pool it's about 60% water.
    And out around the cotton farms it's about 5 minutes of irrigation time.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

adriancorrea

Hi Harro 8)
    Try this website, might answer your question

http://www.onlineconversion.com

Hope this helps

Tight Lines
    Adrian

Maaate
    At one barra per Megalitre Sydney Olympic pool should yield about 3.25 Barra. Thats about 10 times more than the good footballers running around colonial any weekend. Unless of course the Broncos are playing there. In which case it becomes 15.035 good footballers,Please feel free to check my arithmetic as we footy fans(particularly North of the border) are notoriously dumb.
    Flynny

A megalitre is 1 million litres. Thats 1000 cubic metres or a cube of 10m x 10m x 10m.

Volume wise thats enough to cover 1 hectare (100m x 100m) to a depth of 10cm.

or 10 acres to 1" deep. so if you have 1000 megalitres you can fill 83.3 acres to 10 feet deep.

Swimming pools I'm not sure of. Olympic a probably 50m x 25m wide x 2m deep (2500 cubic metres). That means it would take 2.5 megalitres to fill. Depth seems to vary between designs by 2m is about right.

Hope that helps harro.