Thread: Designated Trout Water???

Jack_Lives_Here

Designated Trout Water???

Need help from the freshwater guru's.
    Was planning a trip down the New England to chase some greenfish this weekend and have been told the water I normally fish is closed because it is "Trout Water". Does this mean I can't fish for cod ??? ???

Re: Designated Trout Water???

g'day all
    interesting point, that said i dont have the answer but i am curious about when the closed season for NSW trout applys, because the season opened in tassie at the first sat in August.
    cheers

Jack_Lives_Here

6th Sept it officially opens in the area I fish.

I can understand closed season for natives and the like but for an introduced species that has to be stocked to keep numbers up. ?????

Jack_Lives_Here

Reply received from NSW Fisheries just now:
    "You may not fish for Murray Cod in designated trout waters, there is
    also a closed season for Murray Cod which commences on the first day of
    September and runs until the end of November. For more information
    please view our web site www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au"

What is doing there. ??? ???

Finnie

G'day Jack_Lives_Here,

I'm not sure where you normally fish, but I had a scan through the NSW restricted "trout" streams and there might be a couple that cause trouble there.

Remember though, that not all parts of the streams down here are closed. The part of Deepwater that I've fished for example, isn't closed, even though Deepwater upstream of the New England Highway is. So there is still a lot of fishable water here. Check here http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/recr...out_salmon.htm under "Northern Streams" for specific restrictions. Again, I don't know the Cod fishing as well as maybe I should living down here, but it seems rivers like the Severn River that I've heard people talk about luring cod from aren't closed. Maybe your spot falls outside the closed area too?

Too answer Landy's question, the closed season on trout is in streams because apparently they breed in streams over this period. I know I've pulled them from dams over the closed season (which doesn't apply to dams) full of roe and so I guess they do. But from what I've been told trout need a sand\gravel substrate with constantly flowing water for breeding to be successful. This is why the closed season applies in rivers/streams and not in dams. I guess with the big dry spell we've had this year, recruitment will be bad even in the streams?

Anyway, hope that helps........I'll have to figure out the cod fishing up here a bit better myself before I move on!!!

Cheers,
    Finnie