Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jacks in Awoonga

Jack_Lives_Here

Jacks in Awoonga

I saw in last months BNB a small snippet on the GAWB releasing another 500 odd jack fingerlings into Awoonga. 8)

Anyone managed one of these little buggers yet ??? ??? I'd think the fish from the previous release are still quiet small - quoted growth rate of about 500g / year - but some of the families fishing may have managed one.

Re: Jacks in Awoonga

I know of a Sooty being caught there.

From memory the growth rates of the jacks are a bit better than 500g/annum. They're growing better than bass do & the return rate:fish stocked @ Tinaroo is pretty impressive even at this early stage.
    The jacks in Awoonga are not even a year old yet. Released in May/June I think. There were a few hundred released the previous year. I'd realstically expect the first jack capture @ Awoonga next summer. Long shot for this Autumn maybe.
    Gotta remember that Awoonga is one of the least productive lakes going. THey poured fish (yellas, silvers, sooties) into the place for bugger all return. Also around 2 million barra been liberated there. Compare that to Faust where it was producing a heck of a lot more barra for a fraction of the fish stocked. Some blamed the fork-tailed catfish for Awoonga poor return rates, but I think otherwise.
    Monduran is also producing well for numbers stocked so the forkies can't be to blame. Ditto for Big W (another fork-tail catty lake), produces great for bass.

I think jacks are going to stand freshwater fishing in Qld on its head, only the seat shiners in QFS are in the way, temporarily.

24 kg stand-up gear in the fresh? Maybe!!!!!

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Jack_Lives_Here

WHOOOO HOOOOO to that Fitzy.

mick

fork-tailed catfish for Awoonga poor return rates, but I think otherwise.
    hey fitzy, just curios what you think does cause the poor return rate.

PAYNE

The hatchery guys have predicted the Mangrove Jacks to be about 20cm at the moment. Under 5000 have been released to date but when they grow up, get out the Black Bass gear!!!
    20.5kg Barra caught from Awoonga a couple of days ago. Other than that, the place had shut down from about Friday to yesterday morning. Lots of very talented impoundment fishermen fishing for not a lot of fish. South-easters unfortunately put a dampener on the fishing.

Mick,
    I don't have the answer to the poor fish:capture rates at Awoonga compared to other locations.
    Probably a combination if things.
    Forkies would be part of it, but not the whole story because they haven't had the same inpact upon stocking in other forky lakes.

Even these mythical barra in Big W are reportedly getting caught occasionally. Apparently upto around 65 cm now, tho I've never seen one there yet. But I did see a dead one that apparently came out of there. Got me totally knackered how they got there (truth!).

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

mick

I often walk the bank at awonga casting at lilly pads and weed beds etc. i have noticed an alarming number of dead birds that you wouldnt notice from a boat. ive always put it down to the birds swallowing baits that were intended for feral animals. i hope there is no conection.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy
    Mick,

Even these mythical barra in Big W are reportedly getting caught occasionally. Apparently upto around 65 cm now, tho I've never seen one there yet. But I did see a dead one that apparently came out of there. Got me totally knackered how they got there (truth!).

Fitzy..
    Those dam RAAF boys have done another drop!!!!!

F1-11`s kick arse!!!! ;-)

Randall

Barramundi in Wivehoe
    Jacks in Somerset
    Travally in Moogerah

I'd like to see that
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

PAYNE

Before the south easters picked up last week, George Voisey caught 8 barra on fly in one session and was catching good numbers in the two weeks he was at Awoonga. Another 18kg fish was weighed in yesterday and quite a few are being caught at the boat ramp.

Jeez Leeann, all these calls to Gary up there must be costin ya a packet. George is a great angler, however the luxury of being able to spend a fortnight at any given spot isn't available to the average punter. Lucky bugger he is!
    I always allow 4 - 5 days at any barra lake in the hope of getting one good day. Those sou-easters are the killer IMHO. I'd be more inclined to look at those more than moon phases.

Back to the jacks; if initial recapture rates at Coperlode & Tinaroo are any indication, then it shouldn't take 2 million jacks to get a good fishery happening at Awoonga (or Somerset for that matter) as it has taken for the barra to happen.
    Got a commercial hatchery starting work on jacks in the coming weeks. Folks are getting sick of waiting for the government boys to get it right & for the wowsers to give permission for other stocking groups to stock them instead of a select few. Ken & Andrew @ GAWB hatchery are showing them the way with jacks.

Good on em.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

PAYNE

Hi Gary, I've actually been fishing at Awoonga too. Heading back again in the next couple of weeks. Enjoyed fishing with George for a couple of days. Off to Hervey Bay now to catch some tuna and trevally - have a good one!!!!

Hi Leeann,
    Yep, knew you were up there this week. How did you go?
    For those that are interested; I just got some info from Hutcho (QFS researcher) that might help explain the poor initial returns of the barra in Awoonga. Just reading it now will post it later.

Fitzy..

Hi Fitzy, very interested in any info that would explain the reason for the low returns, and also do you think this impoundment will ever improve.

Cheers