red claw

best ways to catch red claw

Jack_Lives_Here

Re: red claw

Opera house style trap.

Boiled spuds for bait.

if ya want to do the hunting thing we get a few with spears and a torch. Just walk the shallows and look out for the gators. For eating mind you not much chop as live bait with a spear in it mellon...

Other wise operahose traps work well

go to lake awonga, cat bikies in small plastic bottle with holes it it in opera house traps put traps near rocky points in about 8 - 15ft of water

ps take a bloody gun to stop the other basteds raiding them
    put a stubby of beer in pot while cooking them
    enjoy
    caveman

Using opera house traps, I find between 3-4m of water best on a hard bottom. At Emerald everyone seems to have a "secret recipe"
    From paw paw, oranges, dry dog food, tins of cat food punctures, watermelon, par boiled potato, bbq chicken carcass....you get the idea.

What I have found, is I usually do better with a mixture of baits. This also seems to a common theme with my mates who go out to Fairburn as well.

Night time defintly seems to be better when they're hard to get.
    Good luck

This has been answered before (I know because I asked )

But never the less all baits work. Dog food, a tin of sardines - pierced, melon rinds, steak chunks, all work.

But the boiled or half boiled for me work the best as the turtles (or anything else for that matter) don't raid the trap.

BTW, the leetle red claw buggers are basically vegetarian, and they take the meat away(or eat it i have no idea) to pretty much clean up.

Rosso.

if you take redclaw home and put them in a fish tank for 2 weeks feed them apple and potato skins they tast mutch better.

aquarius

Hi Guys going chasing redclaw at Wivenhoe Sunday.....Just want to know how long you boil them in the pot?
    and does this depend on the size of the crayfish?
    Cheers #Brent
    ps If any of you guys have caught redclaw in Wivenhoe could you give me some idea where to set the traps and also the prefered bait for this area....was thinking about putting the boat in at the Hamon Cove boat ramp...thanks

HEY AQUA I GAVE THE ROD A WORK OUT THE OTHER DAY DIDNT CATCH ANYTHING ON IT , DID ON THE OTHER ROD I HAD, WITH THE RED CLAW BOIL THEM UNTIL THEY FLOAT ALSO BEEN TOLD TO PUT A STUBBIE OF BEER IN WHILE YOU COOK THEM HOPE THIS HELPS

i to am going to fish for redclaw at coolmunda dam from sunday to wednesday i am going to try boiled portato in opra traps.i hope the cod like them as mutch as i do. what other baits should i try.please help anyone.

It works beter if you put your pots in clumps rather than string them out like dillies

Chhers

Simon.

Fresh, red & bloody, ox or roo heart, or liver. Opera house with larger entry holes (some are small). Place in about 3 mts on rocky bottom over night, check at dawn. Don't forget to mark them according to the law.