Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak for Barra

Kayak for Barra

Hi All,

I just wanted to see if there are any insane fishermen out there who would join me on Kayaking safari's for Barramundi, Sarratoga and anything else that swims?

To encourage you a little, here's a couple of Barra i caught at Peter Faust Dam.

I am keen to fish with some new people and perhaps new places, north or south.

Regards,

Re: Kayak for Barra

great idear i'm going to do a trip later on in the year for cod and yellas in the dumeresque river near texas qld to goondiwindy

Brett_Finger

Andy,
    you are one crazy man
    i bet those big Barra gave you a good time in That - That - That, little bloody floating sitck !!!
    hookin,Brett

Brett_Finger

Swano,
    it'd be murder on me and u,
    but Andy is as fit as a fiddle and it would be no probs for him (bastard )

i think from memory Andy was the first to pull a meter Barra out of faust on the fly !!

on the horse flats on a dalberg at night ????
    i could be wrong,any help her Andy on the truth
    Hookin,Brett

Jack_Lives_Here

WHOOOOOHOOOOO there Andy. LUV IT [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    Plan on a couple of days around the 16th Sept.

she'd be a good paddle across to the power lines ehh brett [smiley=wut.gif] be plum tuckered out by the time ya got to wrestle with the buggas. or i suppose ya could just troll around the pontoons if thats ya scene.

Great barra.
    How's the tom thumb fly rod preforming on the barra.???.Will be at faust late september,hope to hook up with ya.Hope to hook and land some even bigger girls this year,something around the 1300 mark.
    cheers george. .

Caveman Gary, Let me know when you are planning the trip and if I have time I may join you. I have never caught a cod or yellow belly on fly, carp even (no kisses for them). Would be fun to fish a long way from home.

Brett, I am a little mad!!!! I must admit, I didn’t paddle all the way across the dam, even a bit silly for me. I lost more fish than I caught, not surprising as I got towed around like a cork. The first 1m+ Barra you spoke of was on a dahlberg in the shallows, but mid afternoon. I was very lucky with that one, about 20gk on 6 kg tippet, (world record stuff). Is it as windy there as it is here?

Dave, (hunter of things that move) Give me a bell when you’re up here, I don’t have any work on at those dates yet, so I might see you up there for a fish.

Big George, I landed a couple of nice fat fish on your rod. They where 109 + 108 cm, and as fat as you can get. Took me a little while to get used to it, but now I use it a lot up in the dense timber. I am even considering using it out of the Kayak, the length may just work as a nine foot rod would turn into expensive toothpicks very quickly. Have you taken up ice fishing down there yet, burrrrrr.

That's pretty hardcore fishing there mate - would love to do that one day.

Hope ya got the eskimo rolls down pat for when that 130cm+mumma decides to give you a tug of war

Hi Andy.
    Re the rod length.At 7 foot they are great to use in the kayak.Use mine in my single and two man chasing cod in our rivers here and in the narrow mangrove creeks.
    .Have sold a lot of tom thumbs[8-10 wt] to the boys chasing eastern cod/bass up in the gorge country down her in NSW.Regarding the ice fishing.Built a new baitcaster rod the other day, was field testing in the icy cold river.Hooked on to a freight train model fish.After a long fight it was coming to the net,we could see colour when a great bloody 400 plus seal took it.Darn. Lucky i caught a polar bear for tea on the way home.Minus 5 is not for this aussie.Bring on sep/oct.Faust rocks.
    cheers george.

andy if you let me know what time suit you, you can let me know and i will work around it as i am flexable on the time that i go as long as it is dec/jan as i believe this is the best time to go after these fish

Kelvin- I will be getting a skirt, and no not a frilly pink number. #One that stops the water comming in the boat, then i can roll the kayak over and kiss the fish without lifting them out of the water, much better than sticking your fingers in their gills... hmmm.

Gary - I am also quite flexible. If you consider going a week before just give me a holler, happy fishing.

Hi Andy
    How long was that fish from the kayak.?.The faust barra that won the photo comp look longer and heavier than your fish.Looked on the faust chat board and your 104 meter plus club barra looks more like a 90-95 cm.Do the barra look differant in winter compared to spring?[srinkage facter]
    regards paul.

Hi Paul.

You are right in saying that some fish look lighter than claimed. Some fish look shorter because thare very fat. I have found that the smaller fish are skinnyer than the big ones, my guess is lack of food.
    I am heading up for a kayak fish today if i get time.
    Droped a 1.3m+ the other day, what a monster...

andy.... i don't see how the dam would run out of food in six months??????? after all the water level is still quiet good ( around 40%) thats a lot of water. i know what sort of fish would fight better, one of them girls that george got 118cms and over 55lbs