Thread: times for trout?

times for trout?

What r the best times of the day for fishing for trout and what would you use at these times to catch them?

thanks
    Young fisher

Re: times for trout?

G'day YF.
    First and last light is always best - especially if you're fishing from the bank.
    The best bait can vary from waterway to waterway and it'd be best if we knew where you were located and what waterways you were thinking of fishing, but I'll try and be general.

Baitfishing: Mudeyes under a bubble float is the most popular by a long shot simply because it works. Second in line is live minnow where legal (only in Victoria I think). These can be fished either under a float or on a running sinker rig.
    Worms and other baits will work, but they are also pretty popular with less desirable species such as eels and carp.

Lures: Tassie devils styled lures are great because they cast like a bullet with almost any set up and, best of all, trout love them.
    Shout yourself a fluro pink one along with a dark colour one and maybe one more of fluro green and orange and you should be in with a decent shot at one.

Geoff Wilson has a great book out called "Knots and Rigs". I'm pretty sure you can get it from the likes of K-Mart and for under $15. It's a great book that goes into a lot of detail with some great illustrations.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, NS