Thread: Monduran Sooty's

Monduran Sooty's

Over the past days I have received reports of Sooty’s being caught at the top of Monduran. I understand that many moons ago some were stocked in Monduran. Sooty’s are never reported in that neck of woods. Can anyone shed light on this?

Cheers, Zedjack33

Graham_N_Roberts

Re: Monduran Sooty's

Sooty in Monduran? I thought it would be a bit south and cool for tropicals. If they're doing well there, that opens possibilities for other impoundments south of Mackay. I wonder .... how would they mix with yellas?

well they are kept in fish parks in brisbane, so obviosly they can survive the cooler water

I have a fair to reasonable solid advice on this one. I also heard that at the another release was done around the same location in another catchment.

Any help out there for this one?

Cheers Zedjack33

Was definately some stocked in Monduran yonks ago & it was thought that the stocking was un-successful by DPI.
    It is possible a few survived & possibly bred in the feeder creeks if conditions were suitable.
    A few were stocked into Awoonga also, again it is thought that the stocking was not a success.
    Sooties will handle the cooler weather alot further south than Monduran. I had em in the backyard pond (SEQ) for several years with frosts etc not affecting them.
    With the translocation policy as it currently stands, we'll never be permitted to stock soots any further south than Mackay. Although they are in the northern arms of the Fitzroy system (Funnell, Connors, Isaac) after DPI released some into Funnell Ck years ago. They are breeding & expanding their range further south though I'm told it is unlikely they will enter the turbid waters of the Mackenzie or Dawson Rivers. I've noticed that captures of yellowbelly in these areas has dropped off since the sooties moved in. Hasn't effected the toga or catfish tho.

Have had several reports of sooties being caught in Hinze Dam (Lake Advancetown) at the Gold Coast. Not sure about that one tho. Had one (apparently) knowlegeable fishing writter raving about all of the sooties he was catching in Lake Samsonvale however these turned out to be tilapia.

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au