Thread: Anyone fish baroon pocket dam?

Anyone fish baroon pocket dam?

Hi fellas just wondering if anyone goes fishing at baroon pocket dam or has been fishing there lately.For a while now i have been meaning to go on a trip with the canoes but havent got around to it. Ive been there before and it seemed to be great fishing for yellowbelly and bass.
    Thanks
    Nathan

Re: Anyone fish baroon pocket dam?

let me know if you go nathan, i have been working up at mapelton all week over looking the dam, been some beautiful glassy mornings (makes laying pavers hard).

i havent been up there lately but i caught some nice bass off the wall on live shrimp at christmas. you can easily collect the shrimp at nearby obi obi creek. does anybody know the boating restriction in place at baroon pocket?

Yeah the restriction is no fossil fuel engines and no electric engines on canoes but you can have electric engines on tinnys or a similar large craft

also no lead sinkers and the best places to fish are actually off limits a] a small bay just around the corner from the boat ramp full of logs and stuff and b] up in the gorge which is a good paddel to the east of the boat ramp and back toward the montville road if you go for a drive the gorge can be seen from the road the last time i was in there there were bouey lines strung across both with signage we actualy only found them as we were in a fog and you could hardly see the front of the canoe the only thing we new for sure about our location was that we were on the dam so we couldnt realy get lost once the fog cleared we knew where we were we ended up with bass and two cod [all released]and fishing blind [no sounder]

what bait \ lures did you use? and what type of cod were they?

i replied last night but it seems to have gone missing all we were using were el cheapo kokoda spinner baits from kmart willow leaf blades green and yellow skirts

Hey i got some of them kokoda spinnerbaits and in borumba they've caught me alot more bass than my shimano ones which mind you cost twice the price.However the kokoda blades seem to fall off alot but if you squish the wire they attach to a bit you should be right.the best colours ive found are purple\black and white\green.
    Nathan

Baroon pocket is my local huant Ive live in Maleny for 22 yrs and know the place before it was a dam. Ive cuaght some snodger bass and some whopping eel taileed cat fish aswell as a eel that was bl#$dy huge though im still hoping for that golden goodness where they are is probally up in the restricted areas, or the fingerlings all got eaten by the millions of spangle perch though they themselfs put up a sweet little tussle o light gear and there always on the bite. as far as lures go i haven't ghad much luck with spinners and prefer hard bodied lures deep diving 2.5+ with my alltime fallback lure being a halco poltergiest, as far as bait concerns nothing beats garden worms though the spangles usually find it before any thin else.

i went for a drive yesterday and checked out the dam.... went for a walk from the car park to obi obi creek... lovely little spot down there!! then had a look at the dam... its much bigger than i remember it as a grommet, Kuhlia- where does one start looking for fish??

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo
    where does one start looking for fish??
    In the Water.

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

PC

As far as finding the fish are concernd id have to reccomend a when, the best time are at dawn and dusk. the further away from the car park usually result in larger specimens being procured. at the moment the water level is fairly low so its a good time to check out all the fishy structure before its submerged again. there a thick weed margin pretty much covering the entire cicumfrence of the dam, so slow trolling and i mean sloooooow with some pauses and stabs every now and then usually comes up trumps. The reason those ares are off limits is mainly because of liability issues, those trees are known to fall over and if one falls on you aint nobody gonna save you. The other reason is that areas off limits are providing suitible habitat for the endangerd mary river cod so even catch and release still can stress a fish out of spawning untill next season. I hope that leaves some thing to think about, as i personally would not go just to target cod. stick to bass

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_C

In the Water. #

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

PC
    yeah yeah yeah.... got me there.
    thanks for the help kuhlia, you say there is a weed bed the entire way around the dam... that pretty much rules me out for now then. gota get me another tinney.

There are boats and canoes you can hire on weekends and fridays aswell i think. or just go to crazy clarks and little inflatable for $20, ITS GREAT FUN when u get towed around by a bass, no permits required for man powerd craft, just make sure u got a puncture repair kit and some 10 second super glue with ya just in case aye might see ya there.

Oh If someone manages to catch a yella consider yourself lucky Ive been trying for years with zero success, maybe I was just wasnt there in time before others anglers struck gold. Pity