Thread: Collages crossing info

Collages crossing info

Looking to fish collages crossing what can you catch there and what is the best time for a good nights fishing cheers greg30

Re: Collages crossing info

ive caught eel tailed catties on frozen prawns as well as lil bream....not much...but i do hear in the deeper holes there r some bull sharks...oh yer last time i was there i caught some decent fork tailed catties

is it absolutley nessescery to have a boat when fishing collages crossing?

Hi All,

You can catch all mentioned plus other fish such as gar, mullet, bass and flathead at times. To the right of the colledges bridge depending wether the tide is going out or coming in you can burley using bread to bring the brwam,mullet and gar to you. If the tide is going out, throw yourbread in up at the bridge and walk down the river a bit and wait for your bread to come past.
    Generally there will be mullet, bream and gar swarming over the bread. Easiest way of getting live mullet or gar for some lives is to through a cast net over the bread as it floats down.
    You can at times get small bull sharks near around colledges as well. Tearpon can be caught as well but on lures .No you dont need a boat to tangle with the above fish.

I generally go downstream towards MT Crosby weir in my kayak chasing bass. Its amazing how much mullet etc is up in the fresh water.

Cheers
    Aaron

three questions -

1. what lures do you use to catch tarpon?

2. How salty is the water?

3. How do you catch the bullsharks?

Bobby,

The lure to target tarpon are small poppers in the 4-8cm range, a fly or weedless plastic . The tarpon are gennerally harder to catch from the shore as the tend to hang around the lilly's and weed beds out in front og the bbq area in the park.Make sure your hooks are super sharp as tarpon have veru bony mouths and throw hooks very easily went hooked up and doing cart wheels in the air!

The water is fresh but has the tidal influence, from memory it is about 5hrs behind the tide ay the brissy river mouth.Dont quote me on that.

To catch a bull shark all you need is a live mullet,catfish(with spikes broken off) fished under a float. The sharks are small so you dont need the heavy gear. A 6-8kg rod, appropiate line and a sharp hook is all you need. The generally fish best at first light or in the evening. You can target them at kookaburra park and at the bremer /brisi river junction as well.
    Neil shultz has written some good articles on sharking in the river. You van veiw them on www.fishnet.com.au and look up pro angler reports. There is a recent article under Neils profile.

Hope this helps

Aaron