Thread: preparing  fresh water eels to eat

preparing  fresh water eels to eat

i have been told that they are good to eat, so what do i do when i catch them do i bleed them or just throw them in the esky and any recepies would be good

Re: preparing #fresh water eels to eat

gary keep us posted
    always wondered myself

Ment to turn out good if you smoke em. In saying that you wouldn't find me eating anything that comes out of fresh water.

why J87 are you a sook or somthing

My neighbour used to have a spike driven into a tree. He would push the head onto the spike, cut the skin around the head, then he used a pair of pliers to pull the skin down to the tail, then he chop the eel into pieces about 40-50mm, then he boiled the eel pieces, after about 20 minutes he then dries the eel, coated the eel in flour and fried it like a fish.
    I ate it with him a few times, Its not bad but not as good as fish,
    Just for the Record I think Aust Bas is one of the nicest fish to eat and they come out of freshwater. No wimps here

The few fresh water fish i have eaten tasted like mud. I might not have prepared them properly but i'd rather chuck em back for next time anyway. If i want to go fishing for a feed i'll go down to the pin for a couple of flathead.

never eaten a bass before but did keep one for the old man after it took the lure right down the gills
    gave it to him and he told me it was one of the sweetest fish he has had
    so one day (or next time this happens not offten thankfuly) i will keep it for myself to see

also what is the best bait for there critters and is there an limit restrictions on them

bass???
    lures
    nah heard if your more into the bait side that they are real suckers for a live prawn

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/rec/fw/bag_fres.htm

iv had bass out of my dam and they taste great i reckon.....and smaller yellas arnt too bad either

Hi,
    I have eaten plenty over the years.Codcactchers method ,
    nail to tree is what i do,you will need vice grips to rip off
    skin.Cut fillets,thread two kebab skewers down fillet
    lengthways,stops it rolling up into a ball.Drop on bbq for 2 or
    3mins each side.continually baste with a sauce like teryaki.
    I also smoke them in an old webber,drop soaked wood
    chips on your coals for smoke.Leave skin on,it peels off
    later.Soak for about thirty minutes in a strong brine before
    you put in webber.It is suprisingly tasty.I have served it
    as nibblies at bbq,s with good results

Good luck
    fish-bloke

Gidday All

Sorry, I am not going to come into the Freshwater Versus Salt Water fish eating debate. This debate could go on forever.

All I know is that some circles I am in, that more Briny Fisherman are getting a distinct liking for the "Sweetwater" fish everyday.

All I will say is that it comes down to preparation, you must skin any Freshwater fish, cut out the fat and barbecue it. If that still doesnt measure up then you should try something else.

Anyway a couple of tips for freshwater eels, make a small incision all the way around the neck to remove the skin. Newspaper or a set of pliers will help remove the skin and a nail on a post is the good old fashioned way.

Then cut either side of the backbone down to the stomach, and simply pull the backbone and stomach contents away.

This should leave a large piece of flesh intact and a tail piece, cut these 2. You should now have a rectangle fillet of eel and a tail piece which you can just cut up into small pieces.

Smokin this fillet is quite good. Other than that cut into small strips and cook in the pan.

Eels about up to 45cm are best. Any bigger and they are too fatty but the bigger ones smoke very well I am told. Particularly if you fillet them as above..

We grew up eating them but I no longer chase em to eat, but I had a couple of german unlces who absolutely loved them.

Cheers
    Budgebass