Thread: Toonumbar bass comp

Toonumbar bass comp

I see that there is a bass comp at Toonumbar dam on the 9 & 10 of April, as part as the Daiwa bass mania north coast nsw championships. Anyone going or has been fishing there before.

I was woundering what the fishing was like & if a powered boat can be used at toonumbar, I recall there was a large fish kill there last year something to do with water temp change over.

Cheers Tony

Re: Toonumbar bass comp

Have been fishing there mate and it is a cracking dam. However have not been down there in about 2 years and yes you are allowed to use power boats. Plenty of big bass in that dam or at least there used to be.

mariner 22

was down there about 2 months ago, got a few fish but the fish kill last year did reduce the numbers heaps. Is a beautifull dam even if you don't catch fish! not sure about the water level though, might be worth a check!

Have not been there for a year or two but there is a fairly good camping area, very basic but not to bad. There was a lot of Goannas wandering about the campsites but they were harmless.Best place I found to fish was right up in the backwaters in about 12ft and the water is only about 15ft wide. Fish under the overhanging shrubs , baitfish with live shrimp (if you can get them) DYNAMITE.

ynotaj-DYNAMITE was a very silly term to use when describing to you the fishing in Toonumbar Dam . I should have said the fishing was really good if you could get some live shrimp.

Thanks guys I might take a drive up there on the weekend and see how the fishing comp went, see if I can learn anything, I have only caught three bass before, but have only just started fishing for them, I usually take a trip to Evanshead and head for the beach. I don't have any details on these Bass comps, do they let you catch the bass with bait or only lure, thats all they use on the comps they show on tv.

I was at Toonumbar 2 weeks ago, just went out for the drive to see what it was like, beautiful spot and lovely clear water. it was a bit of a rough road in from the Bonalbo side, but the road from Kyogle is OK. Didn't fish but spoke to a couple of locals and they said they had caught a few small Bass up the northern end near the weed beds.

The dam level is down a fair bit looking at the water mark on the jetty and launching the boat involves backing around a tight corner and there is a fair bit of weed at the ramp, Good camping site, fairly small, basic pit toilets and I think some tank water is available.

Hope this helps.

Howard.
    All times wasted thats not spent fishing