Thread: HOOVER VACUUM CLEANERS - barra

HOOVER VACUUM CLEANERS - barra

An Awoonga barra engulfed this small bomber type lure with ease. just as well it never swallowed the lure. who's got the long nose pliers?? in instances like this, big barra wear/chaffe mono leaders in a very short time. 80 lb mono is a fair start for serious fishing.
    johnny

Re: HOOVER VACUUM CLEANERS - barra

i have seen that instead of mono people have been using a far greater breaking strain braid as the leader, example 40lb braid as main 100lb as leader ,the comments i have heard is the braid as leader handles the abrasion a hell of a lot better, esspecially in the treesi havent used it myself but have seen one man use it at monduran in the sticks and it worked as good as any mono i have seen.

warrior, the chaffing in this instance is caused by the barras rough surface inside its lips, which is much rougher than any tree submerged in a lake. vigorous head shaking whilst jumping and during the fight eats away quickly at the leader if a lure is engulfed. at this stage, i am not so confident that 100 lb or so of braid is the answer, especially as a finer leader allows more chances of entangling around a barras fins, gill plates etc, and with braid being so fine and much thinner in diameter than mono, i can't seem to have a vision of the braid helping the situation, or even standing up to the rough treatment, but saying all this, i am going to think more on this braid, and try it possibly this afternoon. i use 50 lb braid as main line, and 80 lb mono as leader. we aren't losing fish, our leaders just cop a caning from about 50% of our bigger fish, especially in the 'engulfing' situations.

We used to do a lot of spinning of the bricks and did the same thing. 50lb mono on the reel with a 200lb braid leader and it worked great on the kings.Much smaller leader knots.

Rod

krtazy

good photo mate i used to have barra in a tank and its awesome to watch eat their prey especially of the surface

So John,

Is there a gurantee of similar mouth almighties for the first week in October

I'd better increase my lure selection.

Brett

Well Awoonga is firing with awesome fish Bugman Brett! At the end of the day nature's elements are always the major guiding factor with barra fishing this time of year. The main difference being how hard one has to work to catch these bigger fish. Great fish in calm and stable weather, but its a little harder on overcast days, but with perseverance, the results can be very similar. Barra are very temperamental creatures, very fickle and respondent to climatic changes. Learn to work with barra, and your chances of success are much greater. Patience is a virtue, Confidence is a must!!
    Johnny M