Thread: 1st time fishin fresh - Just a few Questions

1st time fishin fresh - Just a few Questions

Hey, im usually a salt water fisherman but im goin away for the weekend and ive been told theres a fresh river there that you can fish in, so im goin to give it a go.

Ive just got a few questions..

What pound line do people generally use? (Don't ask what type of fish i will be going for as i don't know myself, lol)

For bait????? ive got a little yabbie trap, so ill put that in to see what i can get? any other tips with what i can use?

And for puttin a fresh water yabbie on a hook(thats if im lucky enough to get one), how do you hook them up, is it that same as you do with the ones you get from salt water?

Thats all i can think of at the moment..

Cheers Nathan

Re: 1st time fishin fresh - Just a few Questions

Best thing with yabbies is straight through the tail - but put two on facing each other. They get real active underwater fighting each other. I've caught some nice yellas in Glenbawn that way.

hi
    I think 6lb would be enough for the average fish, unless there some big whoppers.

Which river are you going to.

write back

ask scotty he is the freshwater lad after the 92cm cod he caught

yeah how are the photos coming.

Im goin down to Rover Park in Tenterfield, ive been told theres a freshwater river and creek there. but im not really sure of the name of it.

Tenterfield.... Yes... Cods country Lots of nice Murray Cod down that way.
    12 lb mono or 20lb braid should do ya . Bait is not required but if using Yabbies and fishing from the bank use a size 1/0 to 5/0 hooks depending on bait size and use a running ball or bean sinker. Spinnerbaits and mid sized hard body lures work well. Just a reminder if your not already aware ... It is closed season for Murray cod in NSW and all Border rivers and a NSW fishing licence is required.

Cheers Les

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

scotty

swfisher just because i caugt a big cod (obvisly u have not caught one this size/or ever caught a cod) doesent make me a pro freshwater fishermen i would class myself as i average person who enjoys to wet a line as for your sarcasim i dont apreiate it and as for the photos give me some bloody time my mate lives in bloody oakey and is a busy bloke as for the qeustion i think mc cod has hit the nail on the head with fishin around tenterfeild

cheers

scotty

fishingnottake

relax scotty, i'm sure it was a compliment and as for the photo's we fisherpersons are patient people on the upside i've narrowed down my radius for the location of your cod spot

scotty

yer your prob rite fishinnotaken well i geuss if you find it you will have as much fun as i did and i will be there again late september round the 23rd so if you do find it drop in and say hi im always up for a chat ill give you a clue it is in queensland thats the best i can do

cheers

scotty

Good fish Scotty I will be at Glenlyon dam around the 23rd if you get anywhere near there drop in.

cheers
    rossco

Scotty you've read the post wrong Mate I'm not even going to be drawn into the fact weather i have caught a cod or not.The person who started this post is the guy chasing the info so lets help him out

Im glad most saltwater fisherman don't get as narky as some freshwater fisherman!

Yeah its a rivalry thing. There aren't as many fish in the river as the sea so we gotta fight each other for em. Its people like scotty who take all the good spots that gets you really going!

Teeka

Yeah I hear you teeka!