Thread: Canoeing for Cod

Canoeing for Cod

Hey,
    Does anyone use a canoe for luring for cod. I got a 4.2m canoe and was thinking about mounting an electric minkota to it. I'm a little worried about stability of it when hooking up the big green fella whether it'll roll with two probably drunk fishermen getting excited. Any ideas how to further stabilise it or tips on fishing from it.
    Cheers Teeka

Re: Canoeing for Cod

Yeh... we use canoes and Kayaks fishing for Murray Cod and it don't take long to get used to them . As for landing big fish .... well.... tackle that when ya get one but ya soon learn to paddle backwards with one hand and pull the fish out with the other if required.
    Not a good idea to mix grog with that sort of fishing...
    And be extremly carefull if going down higher than normal water flows as if you fall out in front of a log jam with the water gong thru it and get sucked in... then even ya mates won't be able to get ya out .
    Not a good idea to fish high flows in small waters...
    If ya fishing big water then a electric is fine. But ya don't want to be lumping the extra weight over rocks, sandbars and sometimes back up the bank to get to the next hole.

Cheers Les

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Cheers mate
    I don't think the flow is an issue, the water we fish in has nothing more then a short flow nothing serious enough to get into trouble with. Thanks for the advice.
    Teeka

Teeka,

You could consider attaching outrigger pontoon arms (one or 2) on your canoe. This would considerably stabilise the canoe. Particularly if you put a Min Kota on it. The outrigger arms and the min kota would be very helpful in the event of hooking a big fish. Just aim the min kota at open water and power out.

I've got a 15 foot Rosco canoe and have been considering getting a Min Kota leccy on it to do a little trolling.

I've seen one chap with the same canoe that has one outrigger and a min kota at Lake Samsonvale. It seems a good set-up. I've seen him standing in the canoe and slowly trolling along the bank casting lures (and he's a tall chap too). So anything is possible.

Cheers,

Gigantor
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

Yeah that was what i was thinking of, i'll have a go and see what happens and let you know.
    Thanks mate
    Teeka

Hi
    I at one time borrowed a (coleman) canoe from a mate several times & just about time i borrowed it or he came with me we had done rather well , i think the reason being was how quiet it was from hole to hole just a paddle each , a couple of strokes each & that would do for about 30 to 40mtrs..some of the biggest yellas & cod i have caught & seen being caught are from canoes..i think it's the principle of stealth witch wins in the end.
    Also in some smaller rivers to big for a boat & just right in a canoe , without busting your ass.
    Cheers keep catchin em...Shanxz

Yeah i think your right there mete, they do have good stealth and thats part of the reason i want to start using mine. I'm guessing you were luring, so there weren't any issues casting from the canow with a mate behind you in a small space?