Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 121cm Lake Awoonga Barra- more smiling faces

121cm Lake Awoonga Barra- more smiling faces

I filmed my mate Tony Fischer land this 121cm barra today at lake Awoonga. The fish was caught just before lunch, casting a lure. Great conditioned fish, very chunky, approx 27-28 kg. An arm full of barra sure beats workin'! Tony was stoked! Photos were great!

Re: 121cm Lake Awoonga Barra- more smiling faces

Yeah... be happy with that John... are you getting any small fish as we only see the big ones ?

Cheers Les

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Yes,
    Les,
    equal numbers of small fish to larger fish, from 40 to 50cm, 60 to 65 cm, 70's, low 80's and so on! There are many small fish living right amongst the larger ones. Plenty of younger and smaller barra are evident showing that the last few years of releases are shining through. There is no lack of smaller fish. its nearly a 50/50 catch rate, ie, a 1,2,3,or 4 kg barra, followed by a 15 to 20 kg barra.
    Most places in the lake show similar results, so over a large cross section , things are looking great. I have been prospecting all corners of the lake lately, and the fishing is equally good in almost any direction from the ramp. The fish are active, water temps jumped considerably in the last 5 days, the fish are moving. i just need to 'stay in touch' with them!
    Cheers,
    Johnny M

Well in my case...its takes two to get them in the boat... Head in the net then you cradle the body of the fish and lift them in gently... What l do is play the fish out then get them in the boat a quick photo then back in the water ... get the water moving through there gills.. Stress is a big killer also Remember you have just exhausted a fish...then to make matters worse you take them out of the water..If you good enough to catch a fish you should be good enough to let them live
    Kids need models, more than they need critics."
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand."
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

john how do you land these monsters, i have landed 15kg fish with the big landing net but no way those would fit.

well warrior,
    i have tried 3 times now to respond in depth to your question, but it seems every time i nearly finish my post, it evaporates into thin air and i get sent back to the aus fish chat freshwater page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in simple mate, i don't carry a landing net, i comfort lift all barra. little or big. its an art to land the larger ones that way. netting is much safer. both methods treat the fish kindly.
    i had great description in my other posts, but that took 30 mins, and they both disappeared mate. better post this up before it also gets lost like a set of car keys.
    regards,
    johnny m

Got a XXXL Enviro Net a few years back and would highly recomend it for anyone into catch & release... will fit 25 KG + 1.2 mtr Barra with ease....
    well maybe a bit of tail hanging out Get a few laughs fom some people with coments like what are you going hunting for...Elephants
    Is a bit overkill i know for 60cm fish ... but is the go for MTR + Barra [smiley=thumbsup.gif].

Cheers Les

thanks john, the big net is gonna get a workout

Needmorerum

I heard that the Water Board didn't want people to release the bigger Barra back into the dam when caught as they were suspected to be eating the smaller ones.
    Is this right, or just another myth?

Corry

PS. JD and I are heading out to Awoonga for the first time tomorrow afternoon to do the sunset and see how things go. Never been before, so should be interesting. If I get onto the Barra out there, I reckon I will almost have a Cruise Craft up for sale.

..This Really makes my blood boil....This myth started at Tinaroo where the Mouth O Mighty where eating the small Barra And the large barra got the blame.... As far as the water board ...Well it might be someone that works for them...But not policy.....Why should you kill the fish.... if you want to take one or two for a feed ....go for it ...But a large Barra is only good for one thing....Release...
    Kids need models, more than they need critics."
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand."
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Yeah... Big Barra eating the smaller ones? It is true that they will snack on there brethren... but so do most predatory fish and it would be a rare event at that.... Barra eating Barra in a place like Awoonga would not be the norm... not when there is hundreds of thousand tons of bait fish, Boney bream, Gar, bar grunter, mouth omighty etc and thats not accounting for Redclaw, Shimp , Catfish that they feed on as well and as Awoonga has said the mouth o mighty is more to blame for Tinaroo's failed stockings..... how could ya blame it an the big Barra there??? as there is bugger all big fish left in Tinaroo.... Just have a look at how many fish are caught in there last few catch and KILL comps " Tinaroo Barra Bash"
    and rightly named ... not a lot of fish caught.... But they just keep killing. Tinaroo is starting to make a bit of a come back now because they are stocking larger sized fish. Awoonga is Australias premium Barra impoundment.... would hate to see it turned into a killing ground and go through the same cycle as Tinaroo... Just my view

Cheers Les

I will be stopping into Awonga on my way through and intend to fish an evening and morning session can you suggest a good starting point seeing I wont have a lot of time to search around.

Mossie

Fish the lee shores .... the bays that the wind is blowing the waves into or slow troll the flats and or the brake lines...

Cheers Les

Just been looking at all the Awoonga whoppers in some of the recent posts. A mate is fishing there at the moment so I hope he does well. I've gotta get me one of these big barra. Just need to stop letting work get in the road.

Burkey1

hi, question for guide johnny m ,what are your favorite lures for awoonga, regards mick