Thread: AWOONGA FISHING TRIP

AWOONGA FISHING TRIP

Gday all,
    I am planning on doing a trip up to awoonga in early febuary. Im just after a bit of information on types of lures and the areas i should fish in the dam. this is the first time to go barra fishing so any help would be appreciated.

thanks bassmanrd

darryl_l

Re: AWOONGA FISHING TRIP

bassmanrd,

There are some very accomplished fishermen on this site that fish awoonga frequently. I will let them tell you of any preferences for a February assault. Read through some of the other posts that you can find on this site as you will pick up a lot of knowledge from there.

Make sure you post your results for others to read and glean information from.

Darryl L

Re: AWOONGA FISHING TRIP

bassmanrd... fish some structure such as weed beds or trees.... last feburary the dam fished well on cast & retrive. But if you have not fished the dam before ? It may be hard to get into some big Barra casting.... but it is quiet easy to get into some small fish 30 to 75 cm by just casting to lantana or small trees etc.... but if you want to get into some big fish ? Trolling the main basin or old river bed will get ya some big fish..... A good sounder and being able to read it will help a lot as even if you don't see a lot of barra on sounder.... find the bait fish and work the area well as there is a good chance that a few Barra well be up them for the rent.... Barra lures ? get some deep divers like Halco Scorpion 150 mm in the 3 depth range 3.5 mtr , 5mtr. and a few 8 mtr crazy deeps and a few Halco Scorpions125 mm in the 0.75 mtr , and 3 or 4 mtr depth... and if ya still got some $$$$ left get a few Arafura Barra lures 130 mm.
    PS Give the points a hit as well.... ether trolling or casting.
    # Best of luck Les

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."