Thread: A Day at Awoonga with Awoonga

still_water

A Day at Awoonga with Awoonga

Well Folk's, What can I say , Trev has redeemed himself by taking me out for a run Yesterday. I had a great day we only boated 4 small Barra and I don't really want to talk about the one I lost due to payback from all the rubbishing I give Trev when he comes down to Monduran. but he certainly knows where they hang out.

The one thing that did upset me was the metre + Barra floating on the surface and as Trev pointed out another left hanging on a stump. If I ever found someone dumping an unwanted fish of this size in this way they would find out what the pointy end of a 2 tonne tinny felt like parked in the side of their boat. I can't believe how much of this goes on at Awoonga. In all my years at Monduran I have never seen a dead Barra dumped yet. But as the Idiots move on it is bound to happen. If you don't want it take it to the Slavo's rather than wasting the fish. Anyway sorry for my little tantrum.

Trev I will be back and be a little bit more prepared, this is only my second time on Awoonga and it is a beautiful place, not enough trees to crash into though for me, at least this time I didn't take out any teeth.
    I also promise to bring less sh** with me.
    Thanks for a great day
    Brett

Re: A Day at Awoonga with Awoonga

Yeah it's really sad to see people kill then waste fish of any size, not to mention metre + barra.
    Matt

Brett,
    Dont assume someone dumped a fish.Can you guarantee every fish you release survives?????.
    I know some fish i have caught have bled and maybee didnt make it.But We give them the opertunity and thats all we can do....
    I have seen fish at Teemburra and Faust that didnt make it.I usually have a look and usually see the remains of a trebble or lure where a fish is unable dispose of it and as a result has died.
    Maybee some of the ones you have lost havn't survived either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

darryl_l

Brett,

Sorry mate but I'm with jimbamb on this one as I know that while we were at awoonga one of the fish caught by a member of our group was towed around for almost 15min getting water through its gills. When it was let go it swam slowly out of sight but on travelling up the dam the next morning I came across a dead barra floating. Ican't say this is the same fish or not but it was in the general vecinity of where the fish was caught the previous day. No more could have been done to swim the fish and maybe it is still out there happily swimming around.

Not all dead fish were senselessly killed

Darryl L

Darryl I am glads to hear you say that as in thread a while ago I suggested that some large barra die following a long fight. To use the example large crocodilles despite all their strength die very quickly after a struggle.

I don't believe fishermen could be that bad as to discard dead fish back into the dam without making some effort to revive them. If your incident happened in the salt water there would be no sign of the fish next morning as the grey suited vacuum cleaners would be at work and if not the fish would end up on the bank to be quickly devoured by crabs and the like.

In the dam there is nothing that will eat dead fish and they just end up being blown to the water's edge and rotting.

I think the sight of dead fish is something we will have to get used to. It would be interesting if barra in excess of a metre were taggeg on release just to check their survival but it would have to be coordinated but the doubt still exists as to weather these barra should be returned to the water.

still_water

Point 1. All I can say is why is this only hapening on these Dams, I know the hours I put in on Monduran and to date have never seen a Barra floating. Also how the bloody hell did the Barra crawl halfway up the road and hang itself on a post, Please Explain????. >
    Some areas I fish for over a week solid while the fish are on the chew and have once again never seen one floating.
    I do understand that accidents happen , but come on !!! if this has happened to you a couple of times I would say either learn how to handle a fish without stressing it to the point of no return or give up fishing and play cricket, and fish with barbless hooks, you can't possibly have a sight with so many people complaing about dead fish floating and have the same answer each time .{It's wasn't our fault} and {Don't Assume} and {It was an accident}
    I'm sorry guy's but I am very passionate about this sort of stuff and as I said I have never heard or seen this before except for Awoonga and Faust. I have been running charters for over 17 years and have recaught plenty of tagged fish and also some we have personally tagged ourselves on the Salt and Fresh.

I have caught a tagged Barra 5 times in 3 days from the same area of 115cm and it was as healthy on the last fight as if it was the first.
    If anyone has seen a Barra floating in Monduran let me know and take a photo as I am interested if it does happen here.
    So next time DON'T ASSUME THAT I AM BLAMING EVERYONE, AS I SAID ACCIDENTS DO HAPPEN. BUT I STILL CANT UNDERSTAND SOME OF THE PHOTOS FROM THIS SITE WITH KNIFE MARKS IN A FISH FLOATING AROUND THE DAM WITH HALF IT'S SIDE MISSING. MY POINT WAS IF IT DIES DON'T WASTE IT GIVE IT TO SOMEONE WHO CAN USE IT.!!!!!!!!!.
    Thank -You for your input
    Brett.

Brett,
    Noone is any more passionate about savin fish than i am.
    My point was that fish die occasionally no matter how much care you take.
    Maybee there is a beter survival rate at monduran....Maybee because there is only 10Percent of barra put in monduran than awoonga.hence not so many caught.
    I agree fish that have been mutilated have been handled by morons.
    Maybee the fish up the bank was thrown up by someone who found it dead.
    PS..No need to shout((CAPITOLS)) we can see your point,hope you can see mine also..
    PPS.goin to monduran tomorrow, glad to have a beer with you,if youd like!!!

still_water

Jimbamb,
    I have no regrets about anything that is said as I am one person who can take critisism as this is the best way to learn by others mistakes , But thank-you for agreeing about the morons mutilating fish that was my point all along. It is just a waste.
    I don't think the 10 % really has anything to do with it , it comes down to loooking after the fish as much as you can, if I have a fish that I think is stressed out or may not make it I will keep it in my Livewell and at times I have held Barra over a meter alive for 6 hours before releasing them, sometimes they jump out of the wells themselves once they have revived in the shade and cool and swim off very strongly.
    But if we all had the same opinion how boring would life be.
    It was good to see someone stand up and have a reply about my comment as to many people turn a blind eye and don't want to believe it's happening.
    Brett

Some key points to remember when handling any fish, especially larger barra-
    *time out of water is critical when it comes to the survival of any fish. Two,(2) mins out of water is a long time, 5 minutes is way too long! If planning to take photos, make sure all camera gear is ready to go, as big fish often turn up when one least expects it. 2,3,4,5 minutes can pass by quickly in the excitement of landing a mega-barra!! remember, "time flys when we are havin' fun!"

* most larger barra that are landed come to the boat absolutely exhausted and spent, all energy expired during the fight. Bigger lake barra are often unfit and overweight and therefore stress more during and after capture. They lack the fitness of saltwater barra. Again, time out of water is extremely critical. You don't see overweight and unfit people playing too much footy.

* landing nets are essential for less experienced fishers, and even the inproper use of boaga grips can lead to an almost certain death of any barra, especially larger ones. Boaga grips with scales allow the easy and quick option to weigh a catch which can often lead to permanent damage to a barra's neck if sneakily weighed without the use of a net or sling. We can't deny that people don't do this! I've seen it. Boaga grips allow too much control over a fish from the front end by using the tool as a handle. The front end is the delicate and fragile end.

Support needs to be emphasised and addressed to the mid section of a barra to support it's body weight, and to distribute it over a larger surface area as possible, ie by also using the forearm and hand to support the large 15-20 kg plus fish, and the boaga grip unfortunately reverses this theory by offering too much control over the barra's front end/head/mouth etc, with a large portion of the fishes bulk hanging from this point. Photos in magz will back up my point! An instant head shake from a large fish in this instance, can do MAJOR unseen damage.......possible death 2 days later etc!!
    (Hand and fingers is prefered because of its suppleness and flexible range of joint movement that can soften any kick from a discomforted barra.) A hardened rigid tool like a boaga will do more damage to a barra's mouth/jaw/neck than a thumb and fingers will do. Our hands, finger joints, wrist joints, elbows, shoulders etc all absorb some of the kick. Imagine boagas in your own mouth while you chuck a little wobblie, whilst someone else holds the tool. Ouch! Great tools if used correctly, terrible tools if used as they unfortunately, commonly are.

*At the end of the day, a memorable catch is recorded mentally, firmly embedded in one's mind. Regardless of what length or weight a fish is, the capture and excitement is usually never forgotten. 90 cm ,101 cm, 108 cm, etc is really the last important detail that is required. The weight, well, forget its weight, it is really not as important as the enjoyment of the capture, the challenge, the outing and the environment in which we came to enjoy. The less we have to do to a barra when in our possession, the more chance it has of survival.

*Large barra don't bounce too well, and if you have to, sit on the floor and plonk the fish on your lap for a photo if required. Big barra kick unexpectedly, and can kick free from ones hands, or can kick from seats to deck or can fall to lower points on a boat and also cause irreversible damage. Barra are big, and will only get bigger in years to come. Learn how to handle fish for future success in releasing fish in mint condition.

I too have seen way too many large barra dead on the surface on Awoonga in recent times since trolling has become a favoured option for all new, and also experienced fisher folk. The ease of landing a large fish by using this method has given inexperienced fishers and inexperienced fish handlers the chance to catch and to handle a big barra. Quite simply, there are masses of first time fisherman who manage to catch a huge barra. Lacking is the background knowledge of "HOW TO" and we can only hope that through proper education via topics such as this one, that certain messages can get across to the general public and to all and everyone that fishes our impoundments.

Open/deep water trolling has been happening for many years, and it is only recently that it has become ever so popular, and with this, the disturbing number or large dead fish on the lake's surface. As a recreational fisher catching barra on Awoonga for 7 or more yrs, i have only ever had one fish 'lose the plot' and later die. (this was a fish that snagged itself and the lure on a tree and was recovered 20 mins later).

Fish handling is the major governing factor in fish survival.
    Following certain key points will maximise a fish's chances of survival.
    If a fish seems unfit to release, or it dies in your possession, proper utilisation of that resource is the greatest option. There is always someone willing to take the fish for consumption.
    Mega man hours and dollars are spent to create such magnificent fisheries. A 20 kg barra may well be 7 yrs old, and deserves the proper handling to ensure that its longevity, and the fisheries, is sustained. A strong possibility exists that that 20 kg barra you caught may well have been captured 3 or 4 times at much smaller sizes and released by others. Released in top condition, it will bring the smile to another fisherman in the future.
    Johnny M
    Lake Awoonga

still_water

Thanks Johnny,
    # # That was going to be my next point.Maybe they should run a coaching clinic on catching , handling and releasing a Barra for Awoonga.
    They are held at Monduran from time to time at the onsite clubhouse.
    As you say time is critical and so is a wet deck to lay the fish on. #You must be able to type faster than me as it would take me hours to get all that out.
    I am sorry if I sounded a bit abrupt to everyone especially about your Dam , but I do like to go to another fishery with my family or clients and be as harmless to your stocks as I would here at home.This is where most guides come into their own by just not catching fish but the client should also take home some invaluable information about handling Fish of this size whether they realise it or not but the learning process never stops.
    Regards
    Brett.
    P.S # Sorry I didn't catch up but it was a quick decision on heading up your way.
    We will organise another time hopefully sooner rather than later before the Chrissy rush otherwise it will be in Late Jan early Feb.

my five cents worth

agreeing with the principle that a carefully handled fish will most probably survive...and that any animal shouldnt be harmed for no good reason.

the element of the Trophy hunter still exists..the element of the kill as many as you can so as to brag to your mates still exists...and as noted some Morons would rather hang a good fish up on a sign so as to brag to the world about the size of their ...anyway......

to show a population that 2.2 million Barra have been released into an area for the enjoyment of those able to get there...will only lead to those over endowed with attitude/money and too much beer brain to have the attitude..."its ok to kill and throw..there are plenty more..and someone else is supplying them so i can kill as many as i want"

we must remember that not all of us treat our sport with the highest regard....like certain Pro's that run over fishing lines...or abuse others if we are in their way...or certain Charter operators that have no regard for their clients....

From what ive read/seen.....the barra are almost inedible in the dams...but are of trophy size....and here lies the problem...why would you catch a huge fish..if you cant eat it??...what to do with it once the size factor and bragging rites have gone......for most of us its ok to take that pic.....to hold that memory of a great fish ..beaten and returned....but for more than a few there will always be..."its not mine...so i have no respect for that which i do not posses"...

i have seen ppl smashing giant eels with concrete blocks after capture...i have seen ppl stomp on toadies after capture....so why make a big barra any different????...

.its gunna happen that a small group will always have no regard for that which some of us regard as a privledge..

I agree..education is the only answer...and an iintolerance for those with no respect

still_water

Thumps,
    Thank-you like everyone else for your opinion. What I origanally wrote was not meant to offend anyone but those who have disrespect for what so many of us have worked for and to keep going. But obviously it did.
    I must say though the Barra are edible if prepared correctly, I must admit that the biggest one we have tried was only 110 cm , my wife and kids are not real big seafood eaters but do enjoy a feed of Barra every now and then , so I will bring one home around every 3 months which will give us quite a few meals.

99% of my clients choose a quick photo then release to hopefully let it get bigger for the next time they return. As Johnny said Boga Grips are the worst for large fish due to the pressure put onto the rest of the body ,and I have seen plenty of pictures of big Barra being supported by nothing else but.
    If you are that scared about getting smelly hands don't go fishing, if you have had a photo of a decent Barra for the day why not release the rest from beside the boat and let the water take the weight. You can still measure it from here and get a photo.
    Brett.

i myself am travelling down to Awoonga in Jan

we are totally pumped at the experience and we hope to tangle with a few of those wonderful fish..(and maybe a redclaw or two)

we are hoping for a few good pics...a few good memories..and maybe one for the family to try

as i said...a privledge just to be able to get there.

and an ambition fulfilled by both myself and the new wife of one week...(nice she loves fishing too...)...both of us have never had the experience of a barra...(yet)

still_water

Thumps,
    One thing I will admit as I know Monduran my catch rate is a lot better there as I have only been to Awoonga a couple of times, The quality of fish in Awoonga is out of this world , I have never seen so many big Barra pulled out. At monduran for the past 2 years I could pretty much gaurntee 5 to 20 Barra over a meter a day , but this year due to water levels , they are certainly hard to find. We have landed a few over the meter this season but not like we use to due to the water levels and they will be hiding in new areas now. Hopefully I will work them out before winter. Our best this year went 130cm and is the biggest I have seen or heard of to date out of Monduran.
    If you can afford it spend a day with Johnny Mitchell and pick up a few Ideas on what where and how , since John has started he has been firing. It is well worth the money and is an invaluable experience win lose or draw.
    I don't have John's number on hand but if you flick through some of his last posts you may find it.
    Good Luck
    Brett