Thread: Monduran Today

still_water

Monduran Today

I had the bright Idea of hitting the dam at around 4:00am this morning , but a looming storm around Bundy held me back until 4:30 am, I had got out of bed at 2:00am just to sit and wait but eventually thought the Barra aint gonna come to me. Launched the boat at 5:15am to be met by 17 boats trolling the main basin. CQ and his Boss had an early start and had 4 already in the boat ,one went to 104cm ,I am sure Les will post the photo for me later . I decided to go around the corner about 2Km to Cast and the Biggest out of 4 for myself went 80cm. For the past 2 seasons you would struggle for a Barra in the morning and afternoon sessions and clean up through the middle of the day, but this year has done a full 180 and you can pick them up at anytime. I don't know Les's final tally as he had gone by the time I came back to the ramp. On average each boater I spoke to was boating 1 to 2 for their efforts.
    I was going to keep going all day but a brilliant storm blew me off the water with some of the strongest winds I have seen for a long time.
    I will try for another 4:00am start on tuesday and pray for at least a fine start.
    I may even have a TTTTTTroll. We'll see.
    Regards
    Brett

darryl_l

Re: Monduran Today

Brett,

Saw you go past this morning as we hit the water by 4.15am and were due to head home by 8.00am. I started by casting and went to trolling and ended up going back to casting but remained fishless (OH well thats fishing) but talked to a few others who ended up with over 20, biggest 105cm most around 75cm by trolling the entire time. I did however pick up two lures floating so it wasn't a wasted trip.

Saw two dead rotting barra (sorry no pics) so unfortunately it is not only Awoonga that has this problem.

Darryl L

DNO40

Darryl,

If you could pick up two lures every trip it would almost be worthwhile. You have days like that from time to time (speaking from experience).

Sounds like Monduran is starting to get as busy as Awoonga.

Brett,

Why get up at 2am if your not going fishing until 4am. Up at 2 Go at 2. As you yourself stated they are not going to come to you.

DNO

still_water

CQ, there was a bit of flashy stuff hanging around so I sat back and waited , as I would rather curl back up next to the old girl than get a wet arse.
    How many did you end up with in all Les.

Darryl as mentioned by I think it was Jimbamb sounds like those fish came from last Sunday, where there was something written about a Barra on trebles for 4 hrs?
    I also found 2 lures a B52 and a Spoonbill and both had a leader of maximum strengths of 10 and 15lb . No wonder they die when they have to struggle so bloody long.

just out of interest is the water level rising at all? Trying to get up there this week end, Trev might join in for a saturday sesh..

still_water

wheezer,
    There saying it hasn't but in some areas I fish it has risen by about a foot , the dam is holding at a pretty steady 44% and everyone seems to be getting Barra of all sizes.
    Brett

sounds good, should be there friday arvo.

Brett,

Have you been able to confirm that there are some reasonable numbers of Barra holding up in that Bay I mentioned to you or have you been lucky enough to find them holding in your other spots???? and haven't found the need to fish that bay? I'm just curious is to whether we just happened to fish that bay at the right time of the day or if the fish in that bay are a bit more active than others???

Sounds like you may have to bite the bullet soon mate and start trolllllllllllllling. Try not to fall off to sleep.

Cheers
    Navi

still_water

Navi,
    I bypassed the areas you had told me about due to about 4 boats following me.
    I did though fish on the side of the cut in a couple of small bays and started picking up fish at around 7.00am. I did move faster than normal though and was not really working the areas over due to being by myself and not really concentrating, Once I slowed down I got into them.

I went back to the wall at the front of the other spot later and picked 2 more up along there. One big Barra was smashing something on the surface but would not take a lure.

I was going up on Tuesday but have decided to go wednesday now I have to finish off my Snake Aquariam before work picks up again.
    Will let you know how I go. Many thanks for the extra guidence over the phone.Found excatly where you were talking about. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    I haven't succumbed to the T word as I'm not desperate yet, but I may give it a go in the dark so no-one can see me that way I won't be so embaressed if I actually get one. I think I enjoy the hunt to much rather than driving around in circles. I haven't T'd a lure since my daughters learnt how to cast which was around 10 years ago when we use to chase Bass and Yellowbelly. Now as a family we just get bored waiting for something to grab your line. [smiley=sleeping.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by still-water
    I had the bright Idea of hitting the dam at around 4:00am this morning , but a looming storm around Bundy held me back until 4:30 am, I had got out of bed at 2:00am just to sit and wait but eventually thought the Barra aint gonna come to me. Launched the boat at 5:15am to be met by 17 boats trolling the main basin. CQ and his Boss had an early start and had 4 already in the boat ,one went to 104cm ,I am sure Les will post the photo for me later . I decided to go around the corner about 2Km to Cast and the Biggest out of 4 for myself went 80cm. For the past 2 seasons you would struggle for a Barra in the morning and afternoon sessions and clean up through the middle of the day, but this year has done a full 180 and you can pick them up at anytime. #I don't know Les's final tally as he had gone by the time I came back to the ramp. On average each boater I spoke to was boating 1 to 2 for their efforts.
    I was going to keep going all day but a brilliant storm blew me off the water with some of the strongest winds I have seen for a long time.
    I will try for another 4:00am start on tuesday and pray for at least a fine start.
    I may even have a TTTTTTroll. We'll see.
    Regards
    Brett
    # # Yeah mate i think ya talken about us... McCod and the Boss.... we had a ball # we where off the water not long after talking to ya ... #Back in for some breky and a sleep. Only fished the mornin and arvo's.... got into some good fish over a few sessions with a few meter jobs on the troll and a few on cast & retrive and plenty of 75 to 90 cm jobs in between.
    Yeah mate i did see ya washing lures behind the boat...
    #or was he just wetting the braid to make it easy to cast #[smiley=lolk.gif] # . Will post a bit of a report later ...

# # Cheers Les

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Cheers Brett,

Look forward to reading you post for Wed. We will be heading up again next month so I will contact you before hand to see if we can arrange a catch up.

Thanks mate

still_water

Mc Cod,
    # # Sorry mate I got the names mixed up. No I did not TTTTrrooll that mornin I was only resetting the Braid back in . Sounds like you had a great day if I could get some photo's for my web page that would be great.

black_sheep,
    #I decided to head up today instead. I tried the areas you said and them some. I put in at 4.30am and I DID IT ,TTTTTTTTTTRRRRROOOOLLLLEEEEEDDDD, Bloody waste of a good hour and 7 minutes if you ask me , all I managed was 2 bumps from Bass. #In all from the spots you said we boated 8 and lost 6 , biggest was 85cm .
    I'll send you an e-mail later and let you know a bit more. Thanks. Only 3 boats on the water today that I could see.